Which CVAP - a couple of questions ...

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi there

A couple of CVAP questions:

1. Looking at CVAPs. There are two types - the HA40xx fanless series and the HA45xx with fan series. What is your understanding of why the two ranges and what problems each is trying to address?

2. What size to get? I know many of you got your units secondhand so that played a great deal in deciding what size/model you got. Down our way we have to buy new and the prices are shocking, so looking carefully. Smoker is an FEC120 (generalizing ... 150lbs meat maxed out per cook) ... Can you comment on what you would factor into the decision when deciding the size ... here is my thought process:
a. Cook timetable is two main cooks a day, overnight for briskets/butts and morning cook for ribs then chicken. Possible 3rd cook for catering.
b. General case I am holding two smoker-loads of meat ready for service.
c. I do not want to use the smoker to hold as it will put out too much smoke into a small available kitchen/serving space even with extractors.
d. May use the smoker to hold for the catering.
e. Therefore thinking I need a CVAP that can take two smoker-loads of product.

Other thoughts:
1. Say I had a smaller CVAP with capacity for one load from the smoker ... then at the end of the 2nd cook I could transfer meats around and end up with half in CVAP and half in smoker, hold in smoker and CVAP but I would only need to open the smoker a few times to top up the CVAP as it emptied out.

I guess the obvious answer is go as big as you can afford, but I think what I am really asking is for your comments on my 'thought' process/logic so I can see angles I haven't considered properly.

TIA everyone ...

I have a full size and a half size. The day to day operation I use the full size and the half comes into play with catering, so I don't have to interrupt the line. Right now I use a FEC 500, but will be switching to a FEC 240 and FEC 120 in the new restaurant. Your plan is how my day goes, butts and briskets over night, ribs an chicken in the morning. The C vap does a great job in holding all day.

I got both of mine off ebay. The half I stole for $400 and the full size was $800, but I had to replace the main board for 350. Still a good deal over the cost of new. Good Luck

Thanks, good information. What model numbers do you have?

With help from Winston (good sales service), found out the obvious, that the fan in those models is to enable faster recovery time. So if you served directly out of them, a fan model is going to be a better performer.

Surprised by the switch from the 500, my instinctive thought would be the rotisserie would give a more even product. Are you changing for space limitations?

Is the Shirley used mainly for catering or for home use?

TIA.

I have the fullsize HA4522 and the half ha4507, both have a fan and recover very quickly. I do serve out of them, so we are in and out often

The 500 is a great machine and it has been a work horse for over 6 years now. But in the morning when I am finishing the butts and briskets I am in it really often to put on ribs and chicken. In and out and it slows the whole thing down.

If I have two units, I first have a back up if anything happens. Second I can cook different things at different temps and not interfere with the others. Redundancy is a good thing. and they fit under a hood easier.

The shirley is for comps and home use.

CVAP Factory

Longawayfromhome...good afternoon sir. See you are in New Zealand. CVAP will be on display at upcoming Fine Foods in Australia (Melbourne) if you are interested in coming and talking with one of their chefs.

Donald - Winston
dschaper@winstonind.com

Back