MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #196
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtTX View Post
I think I've convinced myself to spend some decent coin on a backyard stick burner. I've set my limit at $2650, which is where the Jambo backyard comes in at. I'm pretty much set at a 24x48 cooking chamber as the minimum. I've looked at Outlaw, Gator, upcoming Moberg, LSG, Pits by JJ, True Texas, Primitive, Big Phil's, Pitmaker, Matt's, Meadow Creek and who knows what else. Some of those are priced out, but Big Phil is right at 2k.

I'm torn on whether an almost identical pit with a name on it is worth the 30% premium. I'm leaning towards a Jambo because of how easy it is to sell if I ever want to make a change.

Is there anyone I'm missing that does good work? Seems like almost anything I find under 2k from a smaller shop has half-assed paint or sloppy welds.
Not exactly low-cost, but Klose makes great cookers. I've had a BYC for years and love it. They seem to hold value pretty well from what I can tell. Not on the lower end of the price scale, but most definitely on the higher end of the quality scale. You're already looking at some very reputable fabricators, but figured I'd throw it out there.

IMO you're right about minimum size - I wouldn't go smaller than that if you don't have to. I have a 20x50. Probably 90% of the time it's fine, but I do run into times where I wish I had 24x50 when I'm really loading it up, i.e. it'd be nice to be able to go 2 butts deep on the top shelf.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #197
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Just my opinion. I'd buy something with grate level exhaust and run away from any builder who starts mentioning baffle plates. If you put in baffle plates you just killed all your convection. You now have a smokey oven. Also Im sold on larger exhaust is better.

Also with traditional flow you're going to lose a bit of real estate due to the high heat on the firebox end.

I think Jambo would be a good choice. Grate level exhaust and I think they are top flow design. I'm not sure about the backyard models on that though.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2019, 05:51 PM   #198
jdtTX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Just my opinion. I'd buy something with grate level exhaust and run away from any builder who starts mentioning baffle plates. If you put in baffle plates you just killed all your convection. You now have a smokey oven. Also Im sold on larger exhaust is better.

Also with traditional flow you're going to lose a bit of real estate due to the high heat on the firebox end.

I think Jambo would be a good choice. Grate level exhaust and I think they are top flow design. I'm not sure about the backyard models on that though.
Top flow is what I'm really looking for. I've checked out a bunch but keep coming back to that. I don't really care if it isn't the most efficient thing on earth. If i want to do it easy I'll use my egg. I want an offset that cooks evenly and draws like a blow dryer up the stack.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #199
Piggysquealers
Full Fledged Farker

Default Gently Smoked/braised Corned Beef

Three hours of smoke in the pan and then wrapped for two. Amazing. I didn't get pictures of us serving it hot, but I deli sliced the leftover one and made Reubens on the Blackstone. Happy it's stickburning weather again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190323_150439.jpg (68.3 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1553532891286.jpg (87.5 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg 20190323_142124.jpg (46.7 KB, 331 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #200
BuffettFan
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

Glad to see this pop back up. Need to fire mine up soon! the last thing I smoked in it was cheese when it was below zero.

Got a couple more mods to make this spring and need to get a new coat of paint on the outside. Inside still smells great! It's been storing the Weber accessories lately.

EDIT: Looks like February 2nd was the last smoke it mine.
The Weber kettle has still been getting used 3 to 4 times a week, though!

Last edited by BuffettFan; 03-25-2019 at 01:03 PM..
BuffettFan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #201
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Over 2 months since the last post in this thread until today? Us stick burners are slackin. Probably too busy feeding sticks to post on the internet

I just rolled my Shirley out of the garage for the first time this year yesterday....sad. I hope to fire it up sometime in the next week.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #202
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

This may be in the wrong place but I need to know if any folks have a Klose Grill Chef. I love my Jambo but my new kitchen area isn’t designed for it. Really need info from people that have one or cooked on one. I would have the firebox door put on the same side as the lid opens. I just have always been fascinated with what looks like the perfect cooker ( i know there isn’t one). Anyway.....please PM me or put it on here if it’s appropriate. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:24 PM   #203
ToOTHroTT
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Fired up my LSG Saturday. Made sum trtip ribeyes and a few poppers for the wife. One of the tritips went into chili for Sunday dinner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190323_194047.jpg (69.4 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg 20190323_212300.jpg (48.4 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg 20190323_221324.jpg (45.2 KB, 351 views)
ToOTHroTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2019, 07:54 AM   #204
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Over 2 months since the last post in this thread until today? Us stick burners are slackin. Probably too busy feeding sticks to post on the internet

I just rolled my Shirley out of the garage for the first time this year yesterday....sad. I hope to fire it up sometime in the next week.
I always forget about this thread. Here's some pics of different cooks on my stickburner this year. Did a pork loin roast this weekend but forgot to take pics

fawn loin roast that came out stellar:

Old 03-26-2019, 08:28 AM   #205
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

nothing short of awesome!!!!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #206
g257945
Got Wood.

Starting 3rd season on a modest size 36" Lang Patio.

Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170725_201505.jpg (101.1 KB, 291 views)
g257945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #207
morningwoodbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I have joined the stickburner family. Added a Craigslist find Oklahoma Joe Highland Reverse Flow. It joins a 22" Weber Kettle, 18" WSM and a Myron Mixon G20 gravity fed on my patio.

I love the other cookers, but they are far too easy to use. With the weather warming up, I want a few of those days to sit with amigos out on the patio with some adult wiggily pops and feed sticks into the smoker every once in a while.

Excited to fire it up on Friday to burn something in it, then give some ribs a going on Saturday.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:42 PM   #208
JVM59
Full Fledged Farker

That's a very nice Craigslist find! It appears as if it's almost new. I'm beginning to find
myself in your shoes...I have a cabinet smoker but am looking around for an offset.
Enjoy your new cooker.
JVM59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #209
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVM59 View Post
That's a very nice Craigslist find! It appears as if it's almost new. I'm beginning to find
myself in your shoes...I have a cabinet smoker but am looking around for an offset.
Enjoy your new cooker.
What’s your budget? I’m always watching Facebook and Craigslist for deals. Lots of OKJ and OC out there cheap. Yoder out there too recently.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1849122861854/
https://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/d...849130814.html
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6779107061091/

Last edited by Stlsportster; 03-27-2019 at 09:57 PM..
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2019, 07:03 PM   #210
GA1dad
Full Fledged Farker

Here's my little wood burning buddy,,,, a Custom Pits LLC "Tailgater".

Last edited by GA1dad; 06-19-2021 at 06:31 PM..
GA1dad is offline   Reply With Quote