MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Default Minion in an offset

Silly question but what the heck. Will the minion method work on a cheap-o offset like my brinkmann? Should I lay a chimney full of briquettes and some lit on top or hows the best way to go about it?
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
btcg
Babbling Farker

Why not?

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Yes, it works fine, especially if you use a firebasket. You will still go through more fuel than a UDS, but you do get a more stable run that you otherwise would.

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

My big offset doesn't get up to temperature until I have a good bed of coals going and has to be tended hourly. If I set mine up like you described (and I have), all the coals would be fully lit within the hour anyway. Too much airflow is required to move the heat through the cooker. I do use a firebasket.

I don't know how it would work in a small one, but I think the minion method is much better suited to upright smokers than offsets.

Hopefully someone with personal experience with that particular smoker will chime in!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
btcg
Babbling Farker

Bob,

Did you ever try one o' them "Ring of Fire's"? But if it isn't getting up to temp without the full bed of coals, maybe it wouldn't make a diff.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bob View Post
My big offset doesn't get up to temperature until I have a good bed of coals going and has to be tended hourly. If I set mine up like you described (and I have), all the coals would be fully lit within the hour anyway. I do use a firebasket. Too much airflow is required to move the heat through the cooker.

I don't know how it would work in a small one, but I think the minion method is much better suited to upright smokers than offsets.

Hopefully someone with personal experience with that particular smoker will chime in!
Yes, I should have mentioned... my offset is a small BBChef, pretty much the same thing as a Braunfels from what I have seen of pics through the Brether forum here and there. I read up about Minion method in general, consulted with a few brethren and gave it a shot when I did my first really long smoke for a full chuckie. It worked very well. I agree if you've got a monster size offset, you'd be hard pressed to get temps up.
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
Bob,

Did you ever try one o' them "Ring of Fire's"? But if it isn't getting up to temp without the full bed of coals, maybe it wouldn't make a diff.
I did try a back and forth maze once, it seemed like a good idea, but it didn't work. Just about all the coals were lit anyway in about two hours, and all I accomplished was that it took me longer to get up to temperature.

Most of the big cookers don't get to temp without a good hot fire. It doesn't have to be big, but it does have to be hot.

I prefer the hot clean burning fire anyway, but I do go through a full chimney of lump and a couple of chunks an hour. There are advantages and disadvantages to each of the different types of cookers, that's why I have so many!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
btcg
Babbling Farker

Gotcha.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

yep it works, i use the grates that came in the offset turned verticle on top of the coal grate as sides for the "fire basket" and then load it up with coal until it starts to spill over the end of the grate. i then add about 1/2 of a chimney of lit coals to the cooking chamber side of the unlit coals and let it burn its way towards the fresh oxygen away from the cooking chamber.

as a side note, have you done mod that extends the exhaust down to the grate level? how much more effecient is it? does it effect the operation when you are using it for a direct grill?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

The first smoker I built was an old 55 gallon drum that I made into an offset. I did the minion method frequently and averaged between 6 to 8 hours out of it. Mainly because the fire box was pretty small. But it worked well for me.
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with the others here that minion method will work fine for your cooker. If your having trouble getting up to temp fast enough, I'd just add extra hot coals to the pile at the beginning.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
wickedbbq'r
Full Fledged Farker

I have tried it with a basket in my Char-Griller. Works ok, but it's still is one hungry beast. Needs a lot of coal in the beginning and still burns through it fast. I could never set it and forget it. Do yourself a favor like I did. Get yourself a WSM. The money you save in coal will have it paid for in no time.
Meadow Creek TS120P
1-22" WSM
1-22" Weber Performer
wickedbbq'r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #13
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Build yourself a charcoal basket and raise it up so the ash doesn't snuff out your fire seal your cooker from as many leaks as you can build a minion fire and run with it.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
The Grill Sergeant
Full Fledged Farker

I don't know what brand my son has, but I've tried Minion with just a few coals & was saatisfied - 4 hr burn.
I'm Q'n on it again 2moro and I will add lump on the far end of the fire box & put hot coals nearest the meat. Betcha it works betr.
Also, I find I go through a third the wood chips if I put them in a little "smoker box" - one of those cast iron thingies - & no flame.
The Grill Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2011, 10:45 AM   #15
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

I have a CG Smokin Pro & it works really good for me. I have a basket & start with the basket full of unlit charcoal except for the front corner away from the side vent.

I fill a chimney about 3/4 full & light it. When the chimney is going good, I dump the hot coals in the open space

I have both the side & top vents all the way open. Mine has an ash drawer on the SFB & I pull it open a couple of inches to get the heat moving thru the cooker. When the cooking chamber temp hits about 210-215, I close the drawer & close the side vent 3/4. Temp will stablize in the 225-240 range. Depending on the weather conditions, I can get 2.5-3 hours burn time maintaining 225-240. I make only small adjustments to the side vent & give it at least 15 mins to take effect. After a couple of hours, the temp will begin to drop. Before it drops below 225, open the SFB & shake the basket to dislodge ash & rake the remaining coals to the cooking chamber side & fill the basket back with unlit charcoal. If you lose too much heat reloading, open the vents back all the way until the temps begin to rise above 215 again.
olewarthog is offline   Reply With Quote