• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I got lucky on the golf course . . .

Scrooge Fan

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
and mentioned that I done a brisket on my Big Green Egg. The guy I was playing golf with said, "I have a Big Green Egg that I want to get rid of because I'm through cooking with charcoal. You can have it if you want it."

Nice guy that I am, I agreed to haul it away for him.

It is in pretty good shape. However, it is not a BGE. He bought the ceramic cooker when he was in Japan in 1988. It is a Kamado style cooker. Part of the tag is missing. It looks like it starts with Kinu. . . Most of the interior parts look like my BGE.

Here is what it looks like:

There is a deteriorated ring that sits atop the fire box. Three little blocks sit on this beveled piece. The fire ring sits on those.

I hope someone can answer some questions for me. Does anyone know the make of this unit? Where can I get parts? Is that ring, which is all but rotted away, really necessary? Could you just let the fire ring rest on the fire box like it does on a BGE?

I would sure appreciate any help here.

Thanks guys. (and gals.)

Attachments

• Kamato 1 small.jpg
    Kamato 1 small.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Kamato 2 small.jpg
    Kamato 2 small.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Kamato 5 small.jpg
    Kamato 5 small.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 144
It looks like the Fire Ring is mortared into place, seems all the old Kamado's were done like this. I just chipped the Mortar away in mine and then repaired the Fire Ring and Box.

Rather than type a bunch, just click on my link in my signature line "Kamado Restoration".

You play golf with someone who is done cooking with charcoal? You should be ashamed of yourself. :tsk:

CD:p

Keep us posted on the restoration. Looks like it could be a great unit.

Nice score, one the Golf course I would say the odds are better of you scoring a hole in one than scoring a free Komando:thumb:

Back