Grass Fed Beef

JDBOULDER

Reaction score
I just purchased my first quarter side of beef. Does anyone have experience with cooking grass fed beef?

Congrats on the purchase! Just cook it like any other good grade of beef.

We cooked a porterhouse and it cooked really fast so I think I may had the cooker too hot?
It did not turn out like the grain fed, almost gamey.

Really hot and really fast is the best way to do a steak, IMO.

I will try it again and see how it turns out. It cooks different so I guess I need to play with it to get it "right".

My girlfriend flips out the cash for that stuff and I just cook it. I can't tell any difference anywhere between that and the other stuff I cook except for on the price tag. She feels better about buying it, so I don't complain :)

We cooked a porterhouse and it cooked really fast so I think I may had the cooker too hot? It did not turn out like the grain fed, almost gamey.

I do not know what you are talking about when you say gamey. Personally I have never had any beef taste Gamey, some tough and some flavorless but never Gamey.

What seasoning did you use? How hot do you consider to hot for a steak? Maybe you just cooked it too long...

does that mean you don't need a side of salad?

J/k- I had a grassfed tri-tip this weekend and other than the price I didn't see a difference in the taste.

Most of the time I eat grass fed...I don't think we feed cows grain over here.
IMO cows should eat grass...that's what I was learned when I was little.
Never had a gamy smell or flavour from the beef that I bought.

I've had grass fed many times and it seems like the gamey-ness varies with the cut. I noticed it more with the better cuts for some reason.

Garlic powder does a great job of mellowing that gamey-ness into a wonderful flavor. Just use Montreal Steak, or salt, pepper, and garlic powder after a sprinkling of canola oil and then cook it just like any other beef.

Trust me. Have I ever lied to you before?

We cooked a porterhouse and it cooked really fast so I think I may had the cooker too hot?
It did not turn out like the grain fed, almost gamey.

We raise Black Angus and in the mid west is common practice to grass feed the the last 4 months combination grass and corn. If you have one that was grass feed on a pasture that had a lot of sulfur grass tends to change the flavor of the meat. Whatever it eats will change its flavor profile. For example BobBrisket buys a Steer form me (Maybe someday) That steer was raised in Mo. It will have a different flavor profile then one raised in ElPaso. Same reason why I grow a Jalapeno here is wet climate is going to not be as hot as one grown in dry climate like New Mexico.

the taste of grass-fed beef depends on the grass it was fed on. I raised a grass fed cow and had it butchered. It was okay. But our "grass" was just that, grass. That was back when we kept cows, but we raised them and then sold them to cattle farms that finished them off.

If you look up the guys who really do it, they have different plots of varies species of "grass" they rotate the cattle through in order to optimize taste/growth, etc.

In my experience with game, regular beef, and grass fed beef I would say that grass fed does have a different taste than regular beef. I think grass fed does taste somewhat like a cross between venison and corn fed beef. Most of the taste that is new to you is in the fat. One thing you can do is trim off noticiable large sections of fat on the outside of steaks. As mentioned before cook hot and fast to desired doneness. Something you could try after trimming is to use some herbed butter or compound butter the last minute of your cook on the top.

Altho there are some differences with taste from certain grasses the cows ate while alive....the biggest deal here is getting suckers to feel like they are buying something better then the average guy gets, that or they are getting something that is nicer to the environment..just my .02 :cool:

JD I'm interested to know how the other cuts taste. I wonder if the guys in the 'Competition' forum might have some ideas?

If it's to gamey try adding a little cumin with your seasoning. We eat a lot of whitetail deer which is pretty gamey and a little cumin always seems to mellow it out a bit.

Altho there are some differences with taste from certain grasses the cows ate while alive....the biggest deal here is getting suckers to feel like they are buying something better then the average guy gets, that or they are getting something that is nicer to the environment..just my .02 :cool:

lets have a music festival to promote grass fed beef

Back