MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
Cooter
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Lockhart, Tx

I have passed through Lockhart for the past two weeks near lunchtime. Both times, because of social distancing, we have taken the orders to go and eat on the road.

I stopped at Black's the first week, the brisket was overcooked, dry, and hard.

The next time we stopped at Smitty's. The brisket was cooked (undercooked) and tough. The fat was not rendered completely, still white-ish.

We have been stopping by Lockhart Q joints for years. This is the first time we have been disappointed at either location.

Has anyone else noticed a drop in quality of late? Could it be that both that both had off days?

Frankly, my brother-in-law makes better brisket and his is... well... disappointing.

Has anybody tried Kruez's or Chisholm Trail lately?
Cooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 04-30-2020, 06:43 PM   #2
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
I have passed through Lockhart for the past two weeks near lunchtime. Both times, because of social distancing, we have taken the orders to go and eat on the road.

I stopped at Black's the first week, the brisket was overcooked, dry, and hard.

The next time we stopped at Smitty's. The brisket was cooked (undercooked) and tough. The fat was not rendered completely, still white-ish.

We have been stopping by Lockhart Q joints for years. This is the first time we have been disappointed at either location.

Has anyone else noticed a drop in quality of late? Could it be that both that both had off days?

Frankly, my brother-in-law makes better brisket and his is... well... disappointing.

Has anybody tried Kruez's or Chisholm Trail lately?
Not near Lockhart, but I've noticed a general drop-off in general in the BBQ places I have stopped at. I'm also seeing new faces at them, and not exactly sure the reason. Anytime you get new people, the food changes. I have been leaving very generous tips whenever I've been out, usually just hand over a 50 or 100 and tell them to keep the change. These places have it tough and I want them to survive.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's too bad. My family's ranch was about 100 miles south of Lockhart, and I was lucky enough to eat at Kreuz Market before the break-up, so I hope you just stopped in on an off day.

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #4
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Haven't been to Lockhart in several years and hope you just caught them on an off day.

gtr's Big Pig Roast in SoCal 9-1-2019 (link)

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
LYU370
Babbling Farker

Was at Black's last year after the Texas Fall Bash with Sako. Mediocre at best. The year before was to Kreutz, clod was good, the rest just so so. Neither place lived up to the hype.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Saber 500 Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us and enter to win great prizes! It's a BLAST!
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
rexster314
Take a breath!

One time at Kreuz'. Not really impressed. Chisholm Trail... Stopped in last fall. One stop was enough for us. If you don't use sauce on the brisket, you can resole your shoes with the leftovers. Smitty's was always good, although haven't been in for several years now. Eat their brisket right then, don't wait around, it'll dry out on your plate. Black's was good last summer. At first the cutter gave me some leftover brisket. Got to the booth, said, this sucks. Went back to the counter, told them it was all dried out, the heat cutter picked out an uncut brisket and gave me twice as much fresh brisket. Melted in the mouth