Pork question for the KCBS style cooks

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Do you sauce your butts on the cooker? We don't cooked shoulder in IBCA, but I cook for us and friends/family. I usually inject and run with Plowboys or ButtRub. I'm always ready to try something new.

Any suggestions on saucing or glazing? I don't even spritz usually. Not looking for any secrets, but some guidance on a sauce/glaze. I'm thinking something on the sweeter side.

Thanks
Ty

Ty, we wrap our pork at the end so we don't sauce on the cooker. We do put some honey and brown sugar on the pork when we wrap it. This will add a lot of sweetness. You may be able to put the pork back in the cooker with some of the sauce from the foil for a glaze - never tried that since it wouldn't work for a comp.

For comps we will add sauce prior to putting in the box. Make sure you heat your sauce in the morcowave first so it is hot.

wayne covered it... sugar and honey in the foil will give you the sweetness, without the "saucy" look. If you like more of a natural finish. Another option - Apple juice spritzing, and a sweet sauce like a 4 Men and a Pig sauce at the end will also give you that type of finish... but you have to ensure your cooker is running a low enough temp not to burn the sugars. I cut my sauce with honey also...

I love BBQ Sauce cooked right into the Porks Brownie
So yes I do cover the top with the Master of KC
and cook it right into the pork about three hours ahead of the foil

Back