• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Just got My Kamado (Acorn)...let the game begin!

Jamey

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Well...I just pulled the plug on this grill after reading a lot of JMSetzler's thread about it here. Thanks again JMSetzler. I honestly could not make it past page 17 before running out and getting one just before Lowes closed. :grin:

I am not new to cooking on a grill...but new to all the stuff you guys do here. I love good que! I got the Char-Griller matching cover. Still need to find a good deal on a pizza stone and a ceramic dish or something. I'll be sealing it up good soon.

Also...I'm a sign guy...so I will be making a stencil for my champion football team and then painting it on my grill. Will any high temp engine paint do? If not, what's the right paint to get in colors? I also plan on doing my matching grill cover with my team also. :grin:

I am not ready for my burn in as of yet. I need to go through all the hardware and make sure it's put together tight and well.

Enough of the chit chat...here's the evidence!

In my basement for painting, checking the hardware, and just to admire.
IMAG0463_zps4f124dc5.jpg

Couldn't forget the Weber Charcoal Grate!
IMAG0465_zps26515b25.jpg

Anyways...yeah...I need to get my football team on this baby! Again...any tips on what colored paint to use would be great.

Finally, any tips for "burn in" on this thing? I read some people just washed the cast iron grate, sprayed some cooking oil (which kind?), and let it get nice and hot with some lumpwood charcoal. Is that all there is to it? I don't have any leftover BBQ to throw in there.

Thanks man! This is my first grill I ever paid this much for...lol.

I bought a cheap $40 Weber wannabe to see if I'd like Charcoal grilling. I fell in love with my steaks right away. I just put some KB charcoal in there...put a nice rub on my steaks, cooked them up. I threw in some hickory wood and closed the vent to 5 minutes...flipped the steak and closed it up again for another 3 minutes with even more hickory....I was hooked!

So I forked over $200 for the Master Forge at Lowes...not the round type. I could not replicate the great flavor of the round grill. So I was going to get a Weber One Touch Gold...but after reading so much good about this "Acorn"....I had to have it....

I am sure I am going to love this thing!

You chose wisely Indy! (reference to raiders of the lost ark)

Also...I'm a sign guy...so I will be making a stencil for my champion football team and then painting it on my grill.

Another Patriots fan eh?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Get your self a diffuser and some good lump and you will forget about any other machine you own. You have to make yourself a pizza. If you really wanna get this thing locked in do the mods and get yourself a charcoal basket. This Kamado is a absolute beast. Enjoy!!!!!

Sent from my
Galaxy S3

+1 to Zork's comment. Lump charcoal or something like the Stubbs all natural briquettes will bring things up another notch. I ran my first batch of B&B Hickory Lump from Academy Sports last weekend and sorta liked it... Otherwise I have been using Royal Oak from Walmart...

Any of the B&B products from Academy are high quality. Still waiting for a review of the B&B natural oak briquettes though.

Oak is king here in Texas hill country, and their oak lump is really good.

I really dig my akorn and you will too. Ya just can't beat it for the versatility and price.

Oh yeah, GO COWBOYS!!

sent from my nexus using tapatalk 2

what did we do on the crapper before smartphones?

Thanks guys!,

Might get some rain this afternoon...so no work for me. Looks like I'm going paint my GIANTS logo on there and more today!

I think I am going to use a pizza pan for a diffuser until I can fine a cheap deal on a pizza stone. Any ideas for that would be great.

I am going to Lowes to get some expanded metal to make a charcoal grate and searing grate too.

So will regular engine paint from an automotive store be okay on the top of this thing for making my Giants logo?

You'll love it! I got one a while back, and the rest of my grills have been feeling neglected. It's the most versatile cooker I've ever used-does great from steaks and pizza to low-n-slow que. The long slow cooks are where it really shines for me, and it uses very little fuel. I cooked a butt for about ten hours on mine last weekend with only a couple pounds of lump, and a good bit of it is still left unburned. Once I got it dialed in, I only had to make minor adjustments to the vents maybe twice to keep it rolling at 250* all day.

That'll work. A cheap $4 Wal-mart pizza pan works great as a diffuser, too.

The expanded metal mod is a must-have IMO...
next mod for me is both gaskets & trying to seal that ash pan :boxing:

mbpwm1.jpg

29lfbdx.jpg

Back