Looking for Asian based BBQ recipies

lemur

Full Fledged Farker
I've progressed from not being able to cook rice PERIOD to nailing fried rice over last year or so.

Im looking for recipes\technics\tips to Q up pork\chicken\beef, any cut, to continue...

Ive most of the specialty ingredients (rice wine, seasame oil, hoisin, oyster, soya) but I've gotta say some of the more obscure ingredients are unavailable this neck of the woods.

Interested in recipies or GOOD web site to continue quest, current obsession..

TIA

Get you some Phish sauce too.
Sesame seeds are also often used.
Don't have an English site with recipes for you but maybe others will chime in...Brethren Landarc knows a thing or 2 about Asian cooking

can you give any hints on nailing fried rice?
We eat a lot of white and brown rice but i havent fried any.
jon

can you give any hints on nailing fried rice?
We eat a lot of white and brown rice but i havent fried any.
jon

Fried Rice starts out with left over rice that has been left uncovered in the refrigerator a day or so to completely dry out. Oil in a hot Wok and break it apart quickly to get all the rice coated with the oil, it doesn't absorb into the rice so it doesn't take as much oil as it sounds like it would. Add onions, precooked meats, scrambled eggs, (eggs streamed on the sides of the wok around the edge not raw egg directly on the rice), frozen at the end when it looks about done add the frozen peas toss them about for a minute sauce and fresh cut green onion at the very end.
That is how I have done it for years and it turns out great for me.

i realize you are far far away from oriental grocers, but many of the meals are very easy.

Here is a pork fried rice:
http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1160288&catid=1

Pork ribs:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1238448&catid=1

Some wok ramblings:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146630/wok-question-attention-village-idiot#latest
Some oriental recipe sites:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1042227&catid=1

A great site for thai recipes, the videos afre great. Products are great also, but not sure how to get them to you up north:

http://atasteofthai.com/

Last edited:
Did this a couple years ago and have repeated it several times.:becky:

My take for beef short ribs...

And already had some short ribs marinating in:

In a one cup measure -
2 TBS fish sauce
Filled to 1/3 cup Tamari

2/3 cup liquid aminos

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 TBS freshly grated ginger
2 TBS crushed red pepper flakes
5 cloves garlic minced

I let these sit in the fridge for four days before cooking, turning once each day.

Roasted in an open pan on the kettle with a couple chunks of orange wood set to ~ 300 degrees til an IT of 160, then poured in the reserved (boiled and reduced a bit) marinade, covered and continued to cook to 200 when they were done and had a nice tenderness. I really like this marinade but wish I had some good Fish Sauce.

marinade.jpg

marinated1.jpg

roasting.jpg

ready.jpg

Is there a specific country you want to learn about the flavors of? Or more of a Pan-Asian flavor profile?

There are certain common things, fermented condiments are crucial to all Far East cuisines. Almost all of the cultures use fermented bean pastes, fermented fish sauces, and chile pastes. These are the most commonly over looked flavor elements.

These are the items I keep for a basic selection, and an advanced selection, for a Pan-Asian pantry. This is pretty much how I would describe my pantry.

Basic:
Light and Dark soy sauce
Fish Sauce
fine sea salt
Kosher salt
high quality whole black pepper
high quality whole white pepper
Hoisin Sauce
Oyster Sauce
Fermented black bean sauce
whole dried peppers (dried serrano, chile de arbol, cayenne, Thai whatever)
dry sherry
sugar syrup (can be corn syrup, agave syrup, simple syrup)
Cider vinegar

Advanced:
Sake
Mirin (sweet sake)
doubanjiang (spicy fermented bean paste/Sichuan bean paste)
Tamarind sauce/juice
Sichuan peppercorns
Shrimp paste
Miso (or other fermented bean paste)
Rayu (spicy toasted sesame oil)
Toasted Sesame oil
Rice wine vinegar

Now, some cheats...

1. You can use Worcestershire sauce instead of the tamarind/soy sauce/fish sauce combination. That is what it is, after all, a condiment that copies a Malaysian condiment.

2. Miso powder is easier to get shipped to you than miso, and is shelf stable. It is not needed, but, forms the backbone of many Japanese and Chinese dishes.

3. Any dried red pepper will work in any Asian cuisine. Don't care what anyone says.

4. You need vinegar, all Asian cuisines work with a sour component. Cider vinegar or white wine vinegar will work. Rice wine vinegar is obviously more correct.

5. Probably the hardest thing to find will be a good fermented black bean paste and doubanjiang, but, Lee Kum Kee, the most ubiquitous brand of Chinese condiments is fine for these. While not the best, if you have eaten in a Chinese restaurant anywhere but in China, you ate these sauces.

Now, on to BBQ and smoking. Truly, what we know as slow cooked meats does not really exist in most parts of Asia. It is just not a part of the cuisine culture. But, we can borrow from them. Also, most Asian cuisines use pastes, not dry rubs to establish flavor in meat. With the exception of Japan, you will be working with spicy, savory, salty, sweet, bitter, and sour as your basic flavor components. The idea is to balance 3 of these elements in a dish, and all of them on the table.

Here is a basic marinade that can form the basis of some experimentation. The process could be used for all manner of Pan-Asian cooking.

1. Coarsely chop 4 to 5 cloves of garlic, 6 scallions, 2" to 3" long piece of ginger, 1/4 of a yellow onion, equal amount of fruit (lime, pear, orange, mango, tangerine...) and feed into a food processor until it forms a paste. No chunkies.

2. Combine this with 2-3 tablespoons each of soy sauce, fish sauce and fermented bean paste, 1/4 teaspoon of chile oil, chile flakes to taste, 1 teaspoon sugar syrup, 2 tablespoons of dry sherry or whiskey (NOT Scotch).

3. Place marinade and meat into a plastic bag and marinate overnight.

Now, you could roast, smoke or braise it in the marinade at this point. A really great way to use this, would be to put some lamb ribs, or a small leg of lamb into the marinade, the next day, smoke the ribs/leg for a couple of hours, then into a braising pan, with the marinade, add 3 tablespoons of ground cumin, some additional fresh garlic and ginger, and about 1/4 cup grated carrots, some water, and then braise it for 3 to 4 hours at 275F.

Back