MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #196
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggee6688 View Post
My cook today wasn't the best. My temp ran up until I added water. Any tips running dry to get 235 to 250. I was getting 280 with a stoker and valve almost closed, and exhaust 1/4th open.
I would say try not to stack too much charcoal so it reduces down the amount of lit coals at one time. Then ramp up your temps slowly. Start at 190, then when it gets there go to 210. Follow that process till you get to 235. Hope that works for you.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #197
jrben1
On the road to being a farker

Default Only 8 Hours

Second cook yesterday with a Boston Butt and a brisket flat. I started with a 20 lb. bag of KBB (which included one lighted chimney) plus hickory chunks.

The Guru was set at 235 degrees and the Tel Tru steady at 232 degrees. Ambient temp was 72 degrees. I was using about 1 gallon of water per hour.

About 8 hours out I started losing temp and the Guru fan was running constantly. I had to add more charcoal. This was surprising and a little disappointing. I expected it to run longer on 20 lbs. of charcoal. Fortunately, it is easy to add charcoal in this cooker.

I wonder if it would run longer without the Guru?

Mike, how much charcoal do you use for your overnight cooks?

How much charcoal do you guys use for Boston Butts?

I have ordered a pair of T-plates from a local welder. Maybe this will help. The firebox is 5 1/4 inches deep so we are using 5 inch flat iron.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #198
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
My cook today wasn't the best. My temp ran up until I added water. Any tips running dry to get 235 to 250. I was getting 280 with a stoker and valve almost closed, and exhaust 1/4th open.
When I was seasoning the pit dry I was able to run most of the time down at 225. I used the fuse method for charcoal, and barely lit a dozen briquettes. I let the guru stoke the temps up. The temps over shot to 245 until I adjusted the guru to 1/3 opening and the stack to 1/3 as well. It took some patience as it was so windy the pit viper was drafting in more air than I wanted. You can do it just takes fine tuning and patience. Once the vents were right the guru held 225 with no problems.
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #199
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

I never light a whole chimney. I find that amount of lit coals produces a very large fire that will consume a lot of neighboring fuel/coals. Try lighting half that, at the cost of slower pit temps, and see how well you come to temp with the gurus help. It helped me stay closer to my target of 225 and burn less fuel.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #200
ggee6688

I did a fuse pattern but was filled up to thru tops of the fire bricks. I'l have to check it out. I think the high fuel usage is the water. Just Ave to keep playing around with it.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 12:30 PM   #201
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I did a fuse pattern but was filled up to thru tops of the fire bricks. I'l have to check it out. I think the high fuel usage is the water. Just Ave to keep playing around with it.
Yes, keeping a large body of water warm will burn more fuel for sure.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #202
jrben1

If you order a grill cover from GrillWraps and plan to install a second 2" ball valve on the right, you might ask Bill Donohue to modify the cover.
The standard Grill Wraps cover has a cut out for the left 2" ball valve and the center 1 1/4" ball valve but it doesn't extend to cover the capped off air intake on the right.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #203
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben1 View Post
If you order a grill cover from GrillWraps and plan to install a second 2" ball valve on the right, you might ask Bill Donohue to modify the cover.
The standard Grill Wraps cover has a cut out for the left 2" ball valve and the center 1 1/4" ball valve but it doesn't extend to cover the capped off air intake on the right.
Wow, totally forgot about that, thank you for catching that!

Old 04-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #204
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoozy View Post
Wow, totally forgot about that, thank you for catching that!
There is still plenty of room for the cover to fit, so if you forgot, all is not lost!

I am about 18 hours into this this cook. Pulled off the butt, the Brisket and a pork loin next the ribs in about 30 minutes, then it's eat'n time!
Lonely Charbroil Infrared Gasser and Quick Read Thermapen
[B]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/B]
mikes1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #205
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes1212 View Post
I am about 18 hours into this this cook. Pulled off the butt, the Brisket and a pork loin next the ribs in about 30 minutes, then it's eat'n time!
How much charcoal did you go thru so far? I'm curious since some are not getting good burn times and others are. Where is the pron?
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #206
jrben1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes1212 View Post
How much charcoal did you start with?
Have you added charcoal during your cook?

Old 04-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #207
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Ya how much charcoal. The suspense is killing me...

On my old wsm 20lb would burn for 12-14 hours with 3 gallons of water in the pan...

I am planning my first cook for next weekend with brisket, butt, and ribs...

Old 04-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #208
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Mike must be in a meat coma...
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #209
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben1 View Post
How much charcoal did you start with?
Have you added charcoal during your cook?
Sorry, for taking so long to reply back. I started with a 1/2 full chimney taken from a bag of KBB, the rest went in the pit. I also added two dozen child fist sized pieces of lump, and mixed in. About noon today, I had to add about 3 lbs of KBB to help finish the ribs. That would be about 13 lbs total. Now I did not run with a whole lot of water inside. I would pour in about a half gallon of tap hot water about every hour, and ran dry overnight. Total run time is 19 hours.

I went to bed last night about at 11, and pit temp was 225. At 6:45 am this morning, It was still at 225.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #210
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Mike must be in a meat coma...
You're right! I am in a meat coma! I had some brisket, a little pulled pork, and a couple of ribs. I also had to try a pork loin roast that I did for a neighbor. He brought over some saying it was fantastic! Wash all that down wit a couple of beers, and you have a tired, really stuffed, but happy cabinet owner!