Found a mispriced CAB brisket at the store today. It was priced as select. It’s an 18 pounder and will be my first. Planning to hang it unless it’s too long.

Wish me luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found a mispriced CAB brisket at the store today. It was priced as select. It’s an 18 pounder and will be my first. Planning to hang it unless it’s too long.

Wish me luck!

That one's gonna be close to the coals so keep an eye on that. Watch for flare ups when you open the lid. Good luck!!

Yeah, an 18# brisket will probably get charred on the end. Just trim it.
I’ve always wondered if a little heat shield would preserve the bottom of a long brisket.
Grate works too.

My last brisket was about 17#'s and I ended up hanging it sideways. It seemed to cook evenly and no charred spots. Wrapped and grated it after about 3 hours when color was right (was about 160* internal)

I think I'm more comfortable grating it (fat side down) the whole cook (wrapping at 160-165).

No chance I’ll need to add coals huh? I’ve never tackled something this big.

Last edited:
I think I'm more comfortable grating it (fat side down) the whole cook (wrapping at 160-165).

No chance I’ll need to add coals huh? I’ve never tackled something this big.

If you do a full basket, you should get about 10 hours or more cook time. That should be enough for a hot and fast brisket, especially given that you're not in a cold area.

If you run out of coals (I did once), by that time it should be wrapped and good to toss in the oven to finish**. **If you wrap in butcher paper, put a fresh coat of wrapping on before the oven. While there should be no chance of ignition,
Your grease is likely to smoke @275-300, and may cause smoke detectors to go off. This angers the wife.

If you do a full basket, you should get about 10 hours or more cook time.

Thanks. My PBC usually hangs out between 260 and 310. I'm trying to plan for 10 hours because of the size of the brisket. We're planning to eat around 6, so I figure if I get it on around 6 in the morning, I should be able to rest it for a few hours before we slice. If it finishes a lot earlier, is it still okay if my hold goes from 2 hours to, say, 6 hours?

Thanks. My PBC usually hangs out between 260 and 310. I'm trying to plan for 10 hours because of the size of the brisket. We're planning to eat around 6, so I figure if I get it on around 6 in the morning, I should be able to rest it for a few hours before we slice. If it finishes a lot earlier, is it still okay if my hold goes from 2 hours to, say, 6 hours?

Longest I hold is 4 hours, but plenty of folks here will hold 6 hours

been a long while since i posted, but still try to use my PBC a few times per month. here's a few over the past couple months.

ABT's

CBK4HUEl.jpg

sHrhmbnl.jpg

chix hind quarters. dusted with some Montana Outlaw chicken rub. it's probably my new favorite for chicken. it's sweet and savory.

ulybkWRl.jpg

did a batch sauced, also.

OUhnC0Cl.jpg

thanksgiving turkey. about 15lbs. used that same montana outlaw rub mixed with some cookshack spicy chicken rub. turned out awesome.

UdfSi9Jl.jpg

bone in thighs with just some Weber KC BBQ rub. not as flavorful as the montana outlaw, but still very good and versatile.

9ngN49el.jpg

8lb butt i did yesterday. took about 6.5hrs total. pulled after about 4hrs. wrapped and finished. held in cooler for another 2-3hrs. turned out amazing as always.

SfsbDHVl.jpg

only pic i got cooked is from leftovers i had for lunch today. this is all that was leftover from last night. brought it to a bowling league xmas party. i wish i had more leftover, but happy to see it was enjoyed by many :)

5Vn9Iozl.jpg

If my brisket is too long to hang, is it ok if it’s a little bunched up on the great? Should I just trim the end of the flat?

Last edited:
If my brisket is too long to hang, is it ok if it’s a little bunched up on the great? Should I just trim the end of the flat?

Yep, that's not a problem at all. As it cooks, it'll tighten up like a fist anyway so you'll notice it'll pull away from the wall of the PBC a bit as the ITs rise.

I didn’t go real heavy on the rub, but I was a little surprised how much surface moisture was present when I wrapped. Might should’ve applied another light coat of rub before I put it on. The smell is amazing. Wrapped after 3.5 hours. Just waiting on temps now.

a4988147f017b980e92b03a2c6168da5.jpg

Well, it’s a little over cooked, but really tender. Extended hold may have hurt the way it slices, but I’m pleased. PBC was great. I can’t wait to give it another go.

f56051d0254f7c8af06526000bdc2c84.jpg

Point and flat separated as I was moving it to the cutting board.

d8f7421b10965362c24f1e53fc563c11.jpg

You can see how it sort of flaked apart.

5c885761e84dd5f3bca47be834315af6.jpg

Won’t win any awards, but I’ll take it for my first try.

Back