These Drums look OK for UDS?

You really can't go wrong with food grade drums. At $12, it's a no brainer.

So what is the plan for the lid. are you going to just use the lockring and modify the lid or were you going to use a weber lid? just wondering was thinking someone said the barrels with removable tops wber lids would not fit on? nice find though with them being food grade. the other question is them being food grade having liquid, is there a liner that needs burnt out?

I'd bet money there's a liner. It'll add an extra step, albeit a fun one. :heh:

I'd bet money there's a liner. It'll add an extra step, albeit a fun one. :heh:

I asked that question.... here's the response:

"They have a light-colored (almost white) liner. "

What I'm wondering is will I be able to remove the liner with an angle grinder and wire brush or if I'm gonna need to have it sand blasted. I'm not sure if I can get away with doing a burnout. I'm gonna ask someone at the police station (since it's right across the street from the house) and see what kind of answers I get on that...

So what is the plan for the lid. are you going to just use the lockring and modify the lid or were you going to use a weber lid? just wondering was thinking someone said the barrels with removable tops wber lids would not fit on? nice find though with them being food grade. the other question is them being food grade having liquid, is there a liner that needs burnt out?

I'd actually like to have both lid options functional. For when I would want to cook on just one rack, I could use the flat lid and when I want to cook on two racks I can use a weber dome lid...

I'd actually like to have both lid options functional. For when I would want to cook on just one rack, I could use the flat lid and when I want to cook on two racks I can use a weber dome lid...

Call them and find out what the diameter of the drum is. If it's more than 22.75 inches, the weber lid won't fit.

Call them and find out what the diameter of the drum is. If it's more than 22.75 inches, the weber lid won't fit.

I'm gonna go get one tomorrow. I'm running out of options in my area to find a drum suitable for this project. If the size is not perfect for a Weber lid then I'll just build with the drum's native lid. I have been told that the food grade barrels tend to fit the weber lids while the hazardous materials barrels are the ones that are too large. We'll see what happens...

I'm gonna go get one tomorrow. I'm running out of options in my area to find a drum suitable for this project. If the size is not perfect for a Weber lid then I'll just build with the drum's native lid. I have been told that the food grade barrels tend to fit the weber lids while the hazardous materials barrels are the ones that are too large. We'll see what happens...

Yeah, I was the one who posted that. I found out by going down to the local drum dealer in my area and asking a bunch of questions. If that is a food grade barrel, the weber lid should fit. If for some reason it doesn't, I've seen other posts on here on how to cut a weber kettle grill (bottom) in half so as to make a ring. You shove the ring into the drum and the lid should fit. Look around this site. I've seen it done somewhere.

I have two drums that I still haven't completed yet. When I get them done I'll post pics

You can flair the lip of the lid out with pliers to fit the drum if it is larger.

Hey man let me know how they turn out. I've been checking out that same guy's ad too - I'm in Rutherford County so he's about 45 minutes away. If they look decent I'm going to pick up a couple as well.

get 2 you will want to build another one soon after

Just gonna get the one to start with. I asked him about his supply on these and he has a steady supply and said I could come back and get more later if I want them...

Hey man let me know how they turn out. I've been checking out that same guy's ad too - I'm in Rutherford County so he's about 45 minutes away. If they look decent I'm going to pick up a couple as well.

Will do... I'll post some photos and info on this drum either tomorrow night or Tuesday after I get it...

Back