The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #16
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus99 View Post
$500 to $1000 a contest huh? Is there money to get won back? Or is this pretty much a money pit hobby? RC car racing definitely is/was.
Do you want to know how to make $10,000 doing BBQ comeptitions?

Start with $20,000!

There is money to be won, but, frankly, the number of teams who come out ahead for the season is small. Sponsorships if you can find them can help, but most of us do it because we love it, not to make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstoll View Post
Hey Ron - I'm looking to compete sometime this summer. Is there a decent competition in the Midwest during late July or August that would be a good one to participate in as my first competition? It's hard to tell what the "hard core" events are outside of the obvious ones like Sams Club and I don't want to jump right into a super-intense competition as my first go-round.

Thanks!
There are several that may work.

June 13 & 14 - Brimfield, IL (near Peoria) - You may want to visit to see how things are done.

June 27 & 28 - Grafton, WI (north of Milwaukee)

July 11 & 12 - St. Charles, IL - They have a backyard competition in addition to the KCBS comp.

July 25 & 26 - Morton, IL

August 22 & 23 - Kenosha, WI

September 13 - Glen Ellyn, IL - Backyard only. http://www.glenellynbackyardbbq.com/

October 17 & 18 - Libertyville, IL (Lamb's Farm)

Info on all of these except Glen Ellyn is on the KCBS web site.

*** BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Picnic is scheduled! Saturday, August 19th! Spread the word!!!

The Naked Fatty!

3x Hunsaker Cans/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #17
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

Great info guys....thanks!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Do you want to know how to make $10,000 doing BBQ comeptitions?

Start with $20,000!

BINGO!! ^^^ this ^^^

The absolute best, most consistent, etc. tend to (at the end of the year) break even.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote