MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
gmiddleton
Found some matches.

Default OK Joe/w Horizon convection plate issues.

I have this grill and convection plate. While I am happy with the grill I decided to get a plate from Horizon as many people have said they work great. Well I got mine and nothing changed the temps from end to end are still 25-50 deg off. Has anyone heard of moving the plate 1-2 inches away from the firebox. I've heard this may help in some cases.

Thanks again,

G
OKJ.jpg

OKJ1.jpg

OKJ3.jpg
gmiddleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Southstar Jeff
Full Fledged Farker

I am planning to order one of these for my Oklahoma Joe's and hope to hear what others have to say also.
Smokey Joe Silver
RecTec
Southstar Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

moving it away from the FB will make it hotter on that end Horizon offers an adj plate as an option on a new pit so I reckon you can move it.I built one for my Chargriller about 2 yr ago and it evened my temps out it runs the same Front to Back and End to End.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

No longer have an offset BUT I did read (somewhere) that the Horizon was designed to have a 1" space between the plate and the firebox end of the cooker. This was from someone at the factory. According to him, putting the plate against the end of the cooker actually INCREASES the temp difference more than leaving the small space. Just passing this along... not first hand information.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
EricF
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a different brand offset but the dimensions were the same as Horizons so I ordered the plate a few months ago. It works great, temps have leveled out all the way across the cooking chamber, and color of bark in my opinion has improved. The plate I ordered slid tight against the firebox end of the cooking chamber similar to the image of yours.

Hope you get everything sorted out.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Mine works great and I have it right up against the firebox. It is still hotter on the firebox side, but it is much improved.

I would think if you slid it away a little it would allow flames to shoot up that side of the cooker when the fire gets a little bigger when you add a split. I may have to experiment though.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
harris92
Full Fledged Farker

My brother got one for is Brinkmann Cimarron and said it works great. I have read on this forum before that it makes a difference if your firebox is welded vs bolted to the smoke chamber.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
FireChief
is one Smokin' Farker

Mine works great. Mine is adjustable. Biggest benefit to me is when I pull it all the way to the left to make the firebox side run 75 degrees or so hotter. Great for finishing stuff. I think this design is much better than tuning plates as you can adjust it in seconds without opening up the pit.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #9
SmittyJonz

you just gotta experiment. sometimes a 1-2" gap helps.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #10
robert-r
is One Chatty Farker

I made one for my OKJ Highland visually based on the Horizon model. It didn't work, so I cut it up & did this:

& then this:

Got temps within 10* end to end. However... it's a temp range that can drive you nuts if you are watching two probes.
Temps can fluctuate end to end depending on the cycle of the fire. The unit cooks well, so I'm happy.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #11
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

What's with the 4 year old thread bumping? Not complaining, just wondering...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #12
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
What's with the 4 year old thread bumping? Not complaining, just wondering...
Had a fellar ask me about convection plates....this threads got pics......

Old 08-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #13
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert-r View Post
I made one for my OKJ Highland visually based on the Horizon model. It didn't work, so I cut it up & did this:

& then this:

Got temps within 10* end to end. However... it's a temp range that can drive you nuts if you are watching two probes.
Temps can fluctuate end to end depending on the cycle of the fire. The unit cooks well, so I'm happy.
This mod looks fantastic!