DrumPit Basics.....Or.....How I use my UDS..

I utterly and shamelessly stole yer idea for the exhaust stack and I don't regret it one bit!

wow great post with lots of great information for the drumheads. Will get you started on the road to perfecting the drum cooker.

Found this extremely helpful! I've been studying the UDS and pondering over setups and methods, but now I finally feel like I can see the light. Time for a build!

Bumped in response to a recurrence of the same sorts
of questions appling to the how to and why for
of DrumPit usage for your reading pleasure....

Hey N8man Are you still using your extension piece? Thanks for reposting this

Hey N8man Are you still using your extension piece? Thanks for reposting this

The extension is a permanent feature of my DrumPit
which has evolved to this, for now...:thumb:

DrumPit7599x800_zps2c6e604e.jpg

That thing is too cool, I love it, very creative and efficient also, can't beat it .

N8MAN, great post, can you get into achieving a "clean" burning UDS? Light blue smoke? I just built my first UDS and smoked a pork butt and found out the burn wasn't clean? All sorts of creosote in the UDS and the pork tasted like the smell of charcoal. I have 3 - 3/4 intakes and 4 - 1.5 inch exhaust holes. I wound up with 2 of the 3 intakes closed and the last one was about 3/4 open....this gave the UDS temp/grate temp of 230 degrees for 10.5 hours.

I just built my first UDS and smoked a pork butt and found out the burn wasn't clean? All sorts of creosote in the UDS and the pork tasted like the smell of charcoal. I have 3 - 3/4 intakes and 4 - 1.5 inch exhaust holes. I wound up with 2 of the 3 intakes closed and the last one was about 3/4 open....this gave the UDS temp/grate temp of 230 degrees for 10.5 hours.
I'd guess you either didn't light enough coals to start, or did not wait for the drum to get up to temp before you put the meat in and started smoking.

I'd guess you either didn't light enough coals to start, or did not wait for the drum to get up to temp before you put the meat in and started smoking.

Thanks Boss.....I fired up my UDS today, let her rip for about an hour or so before I put the meat on - end result was some unbelievable chicken! Thanks a million!

Glad it worked for ya!
I fired mine up yesterday for some butts and fatties, got involved doing 2 other things and before I knew it the drum gauges were pegged at over 700 degrees. Closed it up for 14 mins, came back out, put the meat on, and set my vents to where I figured they should be. (I forgot to cover the lower second inlet and saw bellowing smoke when I looked thru the window ran out and the drum was at 450 degrees). Shut that vent, everything ended up fine. Even with my mistakes every now then that thing turns out some awesome stuff!

Back