Six butts

hamiltont

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Wish me luck. Smokin' 6 butts on the Char-Griller tomorrow. Wind gusts up to 25 mph. :shocked: I guess I better build a good wind break & chop a cord of wood. Cheers!!!

Nice! Send some my way if you have extra!:cool:
I'm thinkin' a catapult would get one down to Overland Fark but I'm pretty certain it won't hold together much past the first 3 feet of air time.. :shocked: Cheers!!

I'm thinkin' a catapult would get one down to Overland Fark but I'm pretty certain it won't hold together much past the first 3 feet of air time.. :shocked: Cheers!!

Maybe some bits will make their way over to Shawnee. I will put out some tarps just in case :-D.

Wow six butts on a chargriller, you have got your work cut out for you. Keep the oven warm for sure. Good Luck and enjoy

Watch out for any nearby leaves and stuff. It's been pretty dry down here, probably the same up there. They have issued an advisory. We can still burn here, but they have warned us. I cleared off all around my patio this morning.

Foil... lots & lots of foil...

Pictures are a must!! Wind break and plenty of fuel indeed!!!

FYI - I've found that a large beach towel works great for wrapping over the main smoke chamber of my char-griller - if really windy, a board or two propped up on each end will block off the ends from heat/smoke escape.

Yeah sure there is prolly, maybe, some small fire risk involved, but seriously...? the damn thing needs to be baby sat so much that there is no way you'll have you're eyes off it for more than a few min... I've been doing it that way for several years and had zero close calls.

Have Fun!!

Where is the update? Was a bit windy out today. Just curious as to how it went.

Update: It was very windy but I was able to block the bulk of it. It was a long day. The butts totaled 43 lbs. raw & 22 lbs. pulled. Butts went on @ 8:40AM. The first one came off @ 4:00PM and the last 2 @ 10:30PM. After about 2 hours of lump & briquette & hickory I switched over to ash. For the length of time I was surprised ho little I used? Grill temp was 225F-250F. The last 3 hours I raised it up to 300F trying to get those last two stubborn butts done. They definitely had a mind of their own... I usually foil @ 160F & raise to 200F. I decided that was going to be too much so I just let them cook to ~195F. Great bark & still moist, although not as moist as foiling but I'm not sure I'll foil butts again based on these results. Here are a few pics. Cheers!!!

Attachments

• DSCN1795.jpg
    DSCN1795.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN1796.jpg
    DSCN1796.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN1797.jpg
    DSCN1797.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 72
Never thought I would say this to a guy.... but that is some nice lookin butt!! Gotta change the drool bib on that one......

Back