The quality of brisket at Texas barbecue restaurants

bbqpitsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
If I was going to eat my way through the big name texas barbecue restaurants; the type that make the TMBBQ top list, what would be the most likely grade of beef (choice, prime, select) that they use for their brisket to get such impressive results?

Texas receives a special grade of beef not available any where in the world. It's a special "Texas" grade which is above Prime++++++++ :becky:

We can make any grade taste like magic. I've had briskets brought to me to cook. They were all from HEB for 1 big party. Prime, choice, select and ungraded. 10 total but mostly selects. I think 10 different people each bought 1 brisket. Nobody could tell any difference. There's a place in my hometown that makes the list every year. He cooks selects. He tried going up in grade but everyone threw a fit over the price increase so that was very short lived.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

All I know is that at an HEB in San Antonio I was looking through the packers and the package said “Product of Canada” on it.

:shock:

From my experience, most restaurants use Ole Hickory or Southern Pride style smokers, and do not trim their briskets prior to cooking. They smoke for ever how long, then wrap and hold hold them until ready to serve. They could easily sit for a day or longer in the hot hold before being served. This will help retain the moisture and make them tender. These tend to be your more reasonably priced BBQ places.

The authentic places that cook on wood only pits will buy choice or higher, not hold them as long, and typically charge a higher price to reflect this.

From my experience, most restaurants use Ole Hickory or Southern Pride style smokers, and do not trim their briskets prior to cooking. They smoke for ever how long, then wrap and hold hold them until ready to serve. They could easily sit for a day or longer in the hot hold before being served. This will help retain the moisture and make them tender. These tend to be your more reasonably priced BBQ places.

The authentic places that cook on wood only pits will buy choice or higher, not hold them as long, and typically charge a higher price to reflect this.

Here are the smoker in front of one of our favorite places:

IMG-0071.jpg
[/url]

Here are the smoker in front of one of our favorite places:

IMG-0071.jpg
[/url]

If I remember correctly Hutchins BBQ has a big ole JR Oyler smoker inside as well. (Heat from wood only, but electric rotisserie). Made in Texas as well!

From what I've read, most places used Select or Choice until Franklin upped the ante by using Prime.

my last 2 briskets were prime. I am toying with buying a small select at $1.99 per lb., and see if that makes any difference. The prime briskets came out great.

I wonder what's all the ladders are for?

I'm pretty sure this was during the construction phase. Was the only good pics I could find on google of his smokers. They are now under a tin roof, and he has at least 4, maybe 5 of them now. Great guy, even better BBQ. He uses Double R Ranch Choice with salt and pepper rub.

Personally I believe most use a grade below Prime, either choice or select. I dont ever recall anyone discussing grades of brisket until about 5 years ago — to the contrary, brisket always was considered a very cheap, throwaway cut. That’s what made the smoking so magical!

Franklin is using an all-natural prime, Creekstone Farms most likely. Cattlelack's is using Akuashi. I think Killen's is using Snake River Farms. There is definitely a difference. Pecan Lodge in Dallas uses CAB (or did in the last interview I read) which is an upper 2/3rds choice and it's pretty darn close to prime. I used to be able to get Creekstone farms briskets from my butcher but he can't get them anymore. The demand is too high. I guess you can mail-order them all, but they are expensive for the average backyard joe like myself.

Franklin is using an all-natural prime, Creekstone Farms most likely. Cattlelack's is using Akuashi. I think Killen's is using Snake River Farms. There is definitely a difference. Pecan Lodge in Dallas uses CAB (or did in the last interview I read) which is an upper 2/3rds choice and it's pretty darn close to prime. I used to be able to get Creekstone farms briskets from my butcher but he can't get them anymore. The demand is too high. I guess you can mail-order them all, but they are expensive for the average backyard joe like myself.

I liked CattleAck's brisket slices overall, but preferred the burnt ends from Hutchins.

CattleAck opened at 10:30, we arrived at 10:45, and it was still a 50 minute wait. The food at CattleAck was outstanding. You can see why it is a top 10 in Texas.

Most Texas places use Prime. Some use Choice. I'm sure there are outliers, but I've never seen one of the good places use anything less than Choice.

All I know is that at an HEB in San Antonio I was looking through the packers and the package said “Product of Canada” on it.

:shock:

Canada produces some mighty fine beef, that's for sure. When I was working in the oil sands up there I think I tried to eat most of it. :shock:

Back