Smoked Cheez It's?

TravelingJ

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
It's all over the reddits, and I decided to try it out about a month ago. I made a batch to take to Thanksgiving Eve (the BEST day of the year, if you ask me) and the family loved them. Then they asked about it at their gingerbread house competition. And then the girl friend took some to work, and her entire team asked for them for giftmas. I was talking to my dad tonight about taking some food down to him and his wife. I mentioned pulled pork and a smoked meatloaf for them, and he was interrupting me to ask if he would be able to get more of the Cheez It's. My girlfriend has had coworkers bring up favors from a year ago, and ask for the crackers to repay it.

It is the simplest thing I've ever cooked. The basic idea that I read was to coat them in olive oil, add some garlic salt, and smoke. My family likes their salt, so I go fairly heavy on the garlic salt. Last week I decided to try adding some bbq rub (Ozark heat, since I was using it on a bunch of pork shoulders) and the sweet/spice of that has really added to it. I've personally found that around 250* has worked well, and I just give them a stir every 30 minutes or so, and usually snag one to taste test. I pull them from the smoker when they are no longer soft from the oil (90 minutes on average)

I've also tried it on white cheddar cheez its, wheat thins, almond crackers, mini-club crackers, and chex mix. The mini-clubs seemed to take on the most smoke flavor, but the regular Cheddar Cheez Its would be the winner in our book.

Attachments

• Crackers 1.jpg
    Crackers 1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 967
  • Crackers 2.jpg
    Crackers 2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 958
  • Crackers 3.jpg
    Crackers 3.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 957
Ya its great. Made my own homemade chex mix and smoked it. Tastes great and a different spin on making normal chex mix.

It's all over the reddits, and I decided to try it out about a month ago. I made a batch to take to Thanksgiving Eve (the BEST day of the year, if you ask me) and the family loved them. Then they asked about it at their gingerbread house competition. And then the girl friend took some to work, and her entire team asked for them for giftmas. I was talking to my dad tonight about taking some food down to him and his wife. I mentioned pulled pork and a smoked meatloaf for them, and he was interrupting me to ask if he would be able to get more of the Cheez It's. My girlfriend has had coworkers bring up favors from a year ago, and ask for the crackers to repay it.

It is the simplest thing I've ever cooked. The basic idea that I read was to coat them in olive oil, add some garlic salt, and smoke. My family likes their salt, so I go fairly heavy on the garlic salt. Last week I decided to try adding some bbq rub (Ozark heat, since I was using it on a bunch of pork shoulders) and the sweet/spice of that has really added to it. I've personally found that around 250* has worked well, and I just give them a stir every 30 minutes or so, and usually snag one to taste test. I pull them from the smoker when they are no longer soft from the oil (90 minutes on average)

I've also tried it on white cheddar cheez its, wheat thins, almond crackers, mini-club crackers, and chex mix. The mini-clubs seemed to take on the most smoke flavor, but the regular Cheddar Cheez Its would be the winner in our book.

Thanks for the idea......

Ya its great. Made my own homemade chex mix and smoked it. Tastes great and a different spin on making normal chex mix.

I need to try a standard chex recipe. I've used store bought Chex and enjoyed it. I tried chex from scratch, but I followed a recipe for a bold mix, and wan't thrilled. I'm blaming the bold recipe, though. Using normal chex mix sounds like a better plan.

How much oil are you using? I assume you are cooking the entire box?

I haven't measured. I just pour an entire box of crackers into a bowl, and then add the oil and seasoning. I mix by hand to make sure everything has a good coat. It's fairly generous with the oil. I usually go with 1-1.5 boxes spread between the 2 baking sheets I've probably cooked 20-25 boxes so far.

Sounds like something I'm going to make this weekend! Definitely going to do it for the next batch of chex mix too

I have to try it, thanks for the tip.

What kind of wood did you use? Apple, Pecan, Cherry?

Last edited:
Just put some on...

I love that shelf. I have been trying to come up with an easy way to get more racks in the smoker at once. Everything I try turns into more work than just making more batches.
I have to try it, thanks for the tip.

What kind of wood did you use? Apple, Pecan, Cherry?

I have a pellet smoker, so I use a competition blend.

I just finished making a batch and....it's good!
I used hickory chips in the Big Green Egg when making it. In one of the pans, I also sprinkled some Killer Hogs BBQ Rub on it, and that's pretty good, too.

Thanks Justin, I built it to cook pizza now I wish I had built it the full width of the cooker, may end up pitching this one and building a wider one.

Back