SPOGOS brisket on the Primo XL

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I picked up a bag of SPOGOS locally right when it was released a month ago, and JUST NOW got around to using it on something. We're supposed to get some more winter weather here this weekend and I wanted some brisket to eat while I watch the Chiefs clobber the Patriots on Sunday. I decided to cook one on the Primo XL with the Flame Boss controller and let it run things while I was at work.

The brisket was a prime packer from Costco weighing in at 14lbs. While I trimmed less fat than I normally do, I did cut off more of the actual meat on the thin part of the flat that I felt would dry out during the cook. I've found that I can't trim briskets as aggressively as I do for the Shirley when I'm using the Primo, I think the radiant heat from the ceramic / deflector plates plays into that.

Anyhow, trimmed, hit with SPOGOS, on the Primo @ 250* using B&B lump with a mix of hickory and cherry chips, fat side down, wrapped in butcher paper around 170*, probed well enough around 205*. The point was a little more done than I would've liked, guessing since it was closer to the diffuser plates, but still plenty good. It's not a stick burner brisket but it still turned out just fine :thumb: vacuum sealed and will dunk it in the sous vide on Sunday.

Also, SPOGOS is great, unsurprisingly.

Last edited:
Good looking brisket. I plan on picking up a Prime packer from Costco, on my next trip there and cooking it on my Timberline 1300. I am looking forward to see how it comes out, compared to my Big Joe cooks.

I actually ate it for the first time tonight - wound up going to the Chiefs game and grilled while we tailgated. A vacuum bag got dropped in the SV a couple hours ago and ready to eat when I got home....it was quite tasty :thumb:

Great looking brisket, have a pound of SPOGOS but haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

The 7th picture was just before I wrapped it. It did darken up nicely even while wrapped between that and the last pic.

Back