Two USDA Prime Tri-tips

medic92

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
One is rubbed with salt and pepper, the other with Oakridge BBQ Carne Croste rub. Which will reign supreme?

Each will be smoked on my UDS over cherry at 225 until they reach an IT of 125. Then over to the Weber kettle for a viciously hot sear, then a 30 minute rest before slicing.

It's going to be a good day.

IMG_20200711_115147917.jpg

Umm, for an accurate and unbiased opinion, I will have to partake in the judging. Let me know when you're slicing.

Umm, for an accurate and unbiased opinion, I will have to partake in the judging. Let me know when you're slicing.

Honestly, even if it's the best tri-tip in the history of tri-tips, I don't think it's worth coming to Illinois.

Honestly, even if it's the best tri-tip in the history of tri-tips, I don't think it's worth coming to Illinois.

Then I'll meet you in Kentucky and we will eat and drink bourbon with William.

Looking forward to finished product.

Without meaning to hijack the thread, how big are those and what’s the usual size for a tri -tip? I NEVER and I mean never see them around here. My local grocery store had several today, for whatever reason.

They seemed small to me. And at $7.99/lb, I wasn’t sure how much they would shrink/what size to get.

I really want to try and cook one.

Curious to hear what you think. Tri-tip isn’t common at regular grocery stores in western N.C. and I just threw my first ever tri tip on to start the reverse sear. I used carne Crosta on it since that’s my favorite on ribeyes and New York strips.
This one from Walmart is probably only 1.5 pounds after taking off most of a substantial fat cap/silver skin and is thinner than the ribeyes or strips I reverse sear.

BGross, looks like we posted at the same time and in the same scenario. I was shocked to see how small the options were, though this one was “only” $6.40/lb.

Without meaning to hijack the thread, how big are those and what’s the usual size for a tri -tip? I NEVER and I mean never see them around here. My local grocery store had several today, for whatever reason.

They seemed small to me. And at $7.99/lb, I wasn’t sure how much they would shrink/what size to get.

I really want to try and cook one.

Those are both just under three pounds which I think is typical. I can't normally find them around here either but a local meat locker had them at $6.99/lb. for USDA prime and I couldn't pass them up.

I have a sneaking suspicion these will be great. I'm sure you are on it but.... watch that grain direction like a hawk. :biggrin1:

Thanks for the info. These were choice-Swift brand. 3-4 lbs. Gonna go back tomorrow am and get 1.

Smoke on, Brethren!

FYI, Tri-Tips don't really shrink, they plump up. Very little loss. $7.99/lb for prime well trimmed is fair. If they are select I'd take a hard pass. I won't pay over $5/lb for select personally.

I love tri-tip! Usually get them already seasoned from Trader Joe’s and would guess they average 2-3 pounds, but you can get them bigger elsewhere. I wonder why they are so rare in other parts of the country, there’s only been a few times I wanted one and couldn’t find any.

Another FYI: I learned it here from the Brethren to completely remove all of the fat cap. This allows more rub surface area, and the roasts will cook more even. If the roast is well marbled, there is no reason to keep the fat cap on.

I went to a fourth of July party last week where the host cooked tri tip on his gas grill and it turned out very good. He said tri tip is the only thing he can cook very well on a grill. It was a hit and didn't last long at all. This is his only grill.

He kept it direct but under low heat for about an hour and he turned it partway through the cook. It had a nice char on the outside. He had them pre-seasoned from the place he bought them with the red Pappy's seasoning.

I love Tri tip and yours will probably taste amazing.

Back