MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2020, 05:08 AM   #3316
Bigbears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Haters are going to hate, keep up the good work and thank you for taking us along for the ride.
OG PBC
Gen 1Weber performer
Bigbears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2020, 08:22 AM   #3317
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

I don't even bother with Yelp. Its like any on-line reviews, I don't completely trust the positive and question the negatives.

I really don't think I know any more after I've read the reviews, so it boils down to a waste of time.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-30-2020, 09:03 AM   #3318
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with Lynn, reviews are a waste of time to me too. I don't even bother reading them, I like to find out for myself.
The haters are probably F'in vegans anyway!
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, The Big Easy, Anova Immersion Cooker, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotisserie, Infrared temp gun, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #3319
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

I couldn’t disagree more about the review sentiments expressed so far. Love them or hate them, they are part of the reality of running a business and that influence will only continue to grow.

I own 3 restaurants and I read the major review sites for each of them every single morning. I also do a general google search at least once a week.

Yes, some negative reviews are ridiculous (and easy to spot), but most of them are legitimate and someone had a bad enough experience in my establishment to log in somewhere and tell the world about it. Burying my head in the sand does not fix their experience. Some you can’t do anything about (prices, parking, wait at the door, etc...) but listen and care, others are mistakes that need to be addressed or, more importantly, trends that show a deeper problem.

I had a kitchen manager that was watering down our sauce to help with food costs thinking he’s doing me a favor. I found out about it by a couple of reviews that hit me in thin sauce. We can have blinders on from day to day operations, reviews can give us a new perspective!

Old 01-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #3320
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

I agree with gettinbasted. Yeah, the reviews can be nonsensical either way, but they are what the public is reading about your business. You cannot please everyone, but when I read a response from the reviewee that is rational and trying to make things right, whether they were in the wrong or not, it says a lot to me.

Me, I love to leave a good review if I am so inspired. You would have to deliberately do something for me to leave a bad review about a business that someone has worked hard to build.

Old 01-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #3321
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Great commercial, by the way! If we are ever up that way...

Old 01-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #3322
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
I couldn’t disagree more about the review sentiments expressed so far. Love them or hate them, they are part of the reality of running a business and that influence will only continue to grow.

I own 3 restaurants and I read the major review sites for each of them every single morning. I also do a general google search at least once a week.

!

I think in your position you must take them seriously. I would , if I were you. I'd do exactly what you're doing.

But from a consumer standpoint, there's little value in on-line reviews. Every review I read may be honest and sincere, but I have no way of making that evaluation.

If I got time to kill, I might read a few.

Same goes for reviews at Amazon. And I even found a site that will judge the reliability of reviews for me, but I don't use it.

https://www.fakespot.com/
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #3323
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Reviews are hilarious. I remember when I got one that said my potato salad was....and I quote "an abomination"

Another prayed to the lord we'd come to her for her recipes.......no, i'm not kidding .

Colin Jost has a great stand up bit on "One Star Reviews" (google it. it's worth it)

This is a snippet I paraphrased........
"There were all these angry 1 star reviews. And then I started looking through reviews on yelp of things and now I honestly feel.....that if you hate a place.....the worst review you can give it......is 2 stars.......If you give something 1 star.......that's about you."

Old 02-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #3324
jacobp
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
Great commercial, by the way! If we are ever up that way...
Definitely stop in if you ever make it to the area. I've been probably 10-12 times since the reopening and have yet to leave being anything less than completely satisfied. Best bbq in the area by far.
jacobp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #3325
guero_gordo
is one Smokin' Farker

fwiw, I find it suspicious when a place has zero negative yelp reviews.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:06 PM   #3326
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

I find some value in reviews as a customer. Overall trends can be useful but mostly the customer supplied pictures look for as my tastes could be very different from say the gluten free vegan reviewing a steakhouse/pizza parlor.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020, 08:44 PM   #3327
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Have really enjoyed your journey Jeremy. Thanks for sharing. The offer still stands to send you a Louisiana License Plate for the wall. No cost to you. Those walls looked kinda bare in your commercial. Maybe some other brethren could send expired ones from their state too. Down here in Louisiana, Arkansas and Texas you see a lot of cool decor in the BBQ joints but not the chains. PM if you want one. Man keep kicking it!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #3328
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hapgood View Post
Have really enjoyed your journey Jeremy. Thanks for sharing. The offer still stands to send you a Louisiana License Plate for the wall. No cost to you. Those walls looked kinda bare in your commercial. Maybe some other brethren could send expired ones from their state too. Down here in Louisiana, Arkansas and Texas you see a lot of cool decor in the BBQ joints but not the chains. PM if you want one. Man keep kicking it!
Thanks, I may take you up on that.

While I'm here, I guess I'll post al little update. Lots happening here at the pig in the past few weeks. Draft beer is a bit hit, obviously. And by this weekend, I'm actually going to begin offering a smoked beer. I'll post a video soon to show you what I mean.

And yesterday we bought a full on concession/smoking rig. It's a big trailer with a kitchen and a nearly brand new Southern Pride on the back. We are gearing up for off-site catering and the summer fairs and festivals. We need to make a trip to Ohio to pick it up but I'll be sure to post pics as soon as we get it.

Now that we have all the additional cooler space we're experimenting with some new items. We've got some corned beef working right now for the upcoming holiday, and want to begin doing pastrami. Also working on making our own root beer. And with the draft system I think it would be nice to have a non-alcoholic draft option that's unique.

There's a lot going on and there's never a dull day here that's for sure. Oh, and I did move in to the apartment upstairs, so I now live at work. So far it's been great not having to deal with the commute. Time will tell how long the honeymoon lasts though.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2020, 09:07 PM   #3329
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

The smoked beer...

Old 03-10-2020, 09:09 AM   #3330
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

And after a 15 hour road trip later, we've got it home...

It's got a nearly brand new SPK500, and inside a full kitchen. Refrigeration, steam table, fryer, hot water, sinks, and all that good stuff. Now it's just time to start booking more events.