Vending, is it worth the time?

Babyboomerboy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
We just completed our 2nd Annual Cookoff and I think everyone had a great time, cookers, judges, public. We added a People's Choice contest that was a totally bind judged event and it worked perfect. Now we are talking about allowing the teams to vend their products for the whole weekend. We do not have a problem with the health department here in our community. Do you think that teams would want to vend if we continued the People's Chioce contest? If the local health department was not an issue do you think more teams would want to vend? Do you think that most teams just won't want to be bothered with vending? Your thoughts please.

Personally, I do one or the other but not both. Mainly because it's normally just me or me, my wife and son and there's just enough people to do both. If I go through the expense of competiting I want to focus all my attention there. That's just me.

I vend and compete at the same time but do not do peoples choice. That's different from vending for sure. And all county HD's need to enforce vending rules but again that's not peoples choice where you sell a ticket with sample fork for people to get food and vote on the winner. Vending is selling from a menu by the plate.

I agree with James that it can be a challenge to do both vending and competing but if you get very well organized you can devote the time to cooking he contest with the right vending setup and helpers.

Back