Dual Sanctioned Events

G$

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Anyone ever compete in a contest with concurrent double sanctioning (and turn ins- KCBS & ICBA)? Thoughts, advise?

My first thought is, this is expensive!

Perkins Oklahoma had a KCBS/IBCA contest for several years. It was very popular with the cooks.

It did not return this year sadly.

Given Oklahoma's geographic location, if we don't have many around here, ya gotta think there aren't too many dual sanctioned comps goin' on...

How frequent of an occurence is this ?

No idea how common they are in general, but there is one scheduled in AZ for November. (We can Q year 'round here.. :-D ...) Thom E can chime in with more detail perhaps.

We have relatively few sanctioned events, so we will be participating. I would just as soon have separate ones, but I can see the benefits of a double sanctioned event. Turn in rules for each will be in effect, so in theory you MIGHT be doing totally different chicken and rib styles.

In any case, certainly an interesting twist.

Carol and I have had the pleasure to put on the Perkins Meat in the Middle contest with the Shivers. This was a very successful event. The cooks seemed to love the concept. One entry fee and double the chances to win. Yes their are some differences. Garnish and no Garnish. 6 chicken pieces and a half chicken. Bun in reality they are not that difficult.

At the Chandler Az contest, we are working with the turn in times so that you will be only working with one type of entry during a period. This should help with some conflict we discovered in Perkins. Should you have any comments or questions contact us.

We are extremely excited to be a participant in this great contest in Arizona.
Yours in Q
Merl

We cooked this contest last year and it was fun, along with alot of concetrated thought on when to put in ribs and chix. Go and enjoy you will have fun.

Carol and I have had the pleasure to put on the Perkins Meat in the Middle contest with the Shivers. This was a very successful event. The cooks seemed to love the concept. One entry fee and double the chances to win. Yes their are some differences. Garnish and no Garnish. 6 chicken pieces and a half chicken. Bun in reality they are not that difficult.

At the Chandler Az contest, we are working with the turn in times so that you will be only working with one type of entry during a period. This should help with some conflict we discovered in Perkins. Should you have any comments or questions contact us.

We are extremely excited to be a participant in this great contest in Arizona.
Yours in Q
Merl

I noticed you were repping Merl. See ya there! I really am looking forward to the event and the location SHOULD be great.

Also, re: "One entry fee and double the chances to win."

This is what gets me. the entry fee is like $350 (plus 35 for electric). Basically twice a typical fee. I have no problem with it, because as you said, I also get 2 chances to win, but still, let's npot pretend this is a 'twoferone'!

I will be really curious to see the results of this event. 2 different types of rules. I wonder if the judges will be the same for both events? Will be curious if the winners gravitate more toward the KCBS or IBCA mold?

So Merl, do you just rep the KCBS side?

It will be fun
After the Chicken it is two boxs watch the sause :)
The idea here is by doing two in one day
teams that would pass on a AZ event will be there.

I noticed you were repping Merl. See ya there! I really am looking forward to the event and the location SHOULD be great.

Also, re: "One entry fee and double the chances to win."

This is what gets me. the entry fee is like $350 (plus 35 for electric). Basically twice a typical fee. I have no problem with it, because as you said, I also get 2 chances to win, but still, let's npot pretend this is a 'twoferone'!

G It is in every other way a two fer. When we go out to a contest it is a $1200 deal most times Yes there is a extra cost in the higher than usuall entry fee but what is a $150 more when I am not spending the other $1000?
:) Besides I get to see Aaron and Mike

G It is in every other way a two fer. When we go out to a contest it is a $1200 deal most times Yes there is a extra cost in the higher than usuall entry fee but what is a $150 more when I am not spending the other $1000?
:) Besides I get to see Aaron and Mike

I hear yah. But shouldn't you get compensated to work with Aaron????

Back