MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I am guessing no one can see the video because I haven't really gotten any comments on it. I used tinypic.com to host the video -- don't know if that is the problem.

But here is a still image of the 20 second or so long video. That's my boyfriend holding it in place for me, and operating it in the video.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I've decided that I am going to design this drum to do four functions.

1. Smoker (non-diffused and diffused) using 1 or 2 cooking grates and 3rd grate for optional diffuser medium.
2. Grill (adjustable fire basket can sit up higher right under grate for grilling)
3. PBC-Like (hanging meat from rebar & hooks--will stop holes for the rebar with stainless steel bolts, washers & nuts when not using this feature.)
4. Rotisserie -- again I'll stop all the holes with bolts, washers & nuts when this feature isn't being used.

If this works well, I might get rid of my mini wsm, hasty bake and weber kettle.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #18
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
I am guessing no one can see the video because I haven't really gotten any comments on it. I used tinypic.com to host the video -- don't know if that is the problem.

But here is a still image of the 20 second or so long video. That's my boyfriend holding it in place for me, and operating it in
Sweet looking sliding vent!

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
Sweet looking sliding vent!
I am afraid to attach them because I don't know how they will hold up, lol. I wonder if they will warp bad after some use making leaks? They are pretty thin (aluminum roof flashing). (I made them with a paper cutter, a clamp, block of wood, edge of a wooden workbench--so simple like origami lol).

Old 11-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #20
Bludawg

No worries it don't get that hot should be fine.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #21
Fwismoker

Quote:
I've decided that I am going to design this drum to do four functions.

1. Smoker (non-diffused and diffused) using 1 or 2 cooking grates and 3rd grate for optional diffuser medium.
2. Grill (adjustable fire basket can sit up higher right under grate for grilling)
3. PBC-Like (hanging meat from rebar & hooks--will stop holes for the rebar with stainless steel bolts, washers & nuts when not using this feature.)
4. Rotisserie -- again I'll stop all the holes with bolts, washers & nuts when this feature isn't being used.

If this works well, I might get rid of my mini wsm, hasty bake and weber kettle.
When i was going to build a 30 gallon i was going to do the same exact things..including the sliding vent, diffuser/no diffuser. I was gonna make it similar to a 55 gallon Big Poppa to grill/sear. This was right up until i got a Jumbo Joe on sale for 19 dollars and made a mini out of it and can smoke, hang, grill/sear all with it. Still would NEVER get rid of my little mini or Big Poppa. Keep all the sizes because it's nice having the versatility.

bbq- out of the small, med and large i use the medium (30 gallon size) the most....keep the versatility though!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #22
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I am afraid to attach them because I don't know how they will hold up, lol. I wonder if they will warp bad after some use making leaks? They are pretty thin (aluminum roof flashing). (I made them with a paper cutter, a clamp, block of wood, edge of a wooden workbench--so simple like origami lol).

They'll be fine.Just attach AFTER the burn out if you do one.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #23
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I personally would take a different approach with smaller drums by creating a 2" diameter hole in the middle of the closed bottom end and installing a sliding vent controller over it like I did on my ECB mod:

Old 11-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #24
Fwismoker

Use high heat clear silicone for the sliding vent around the perimeter...maybe attach it at 4 corners with rivets if you have room. Also Look on youtube, there's a video on installation of the Big Poppa kit and you'll see how they put on their sliding vents, the slider opens and closes over drilled holes.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #25
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Here is my design so far--which I can adjust based on feedback :)

Old 11-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #26
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Those sliding vents are pretty neat! They should hold up decently I think. The drum won't get that hot at the very bottom.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #27
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Maybe you can redo it from stainless sheet flashing? The BGE ones are stainless.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #28
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Consider making your basket deeper - it looks like it is 6"deep from your diagram. More charcoal= longer cooks in case you like to cook overnight.

For my charcoal basket, I bought the expando from HD 2'x2'. Cut it in half, made a circle around a grate, to make a 12" high cylinder. The grate was attached about 4" from one end, making the basket 8" deep for holding charcoal, and the charcoal had 4" from the bottom of the drum, so I didn't have to attach any feet to the basket.

The 3rd rack for a diffuser works well for me. You can put a clay saucer or water/sand pan there and still have 2 racks to cook on.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #29
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
When i was going to build a 30 gallon i was going to do the same exact things..including the sliding vent, diffuser/no diffuser. I was gonna make it similar to a 55 gallon Big Poppa to grill/sear. This was right up until i got a Jumbo Joe on sale for 19 dollars and made a mini out of it and can smoke, hang, grill/sear all with it. Still would NEVER get rid of my little mini or Big Poppa. Keep all the sizes because it's nice having the versatility.

bbq- out of the small, med and large i use the medium (30 gallon size) the most....keep the versatility though!

Thanks for the advice. You know what would look really cute? If you took a weber kettle and made a smoker out of it to match your mini and jumbo :) TOO CUTE :)

Old 11-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #30
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I personally would take a different approach with smaller drums by creating a 2" diameter hole in the middle of the closed bottom end and installing a sliding vent controller over it like I did on my ECB mod:

Now THAT is pretty darn slick--I'm impressed!