MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #301
Kung_Pow_Donkey
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
Sorry I didn't get back to you on the rib roast. It was very simple. Bone-in, quality rib roast, I trim the fat cap off but you don't have to, I season fairly lightly with Ted and Barney's (which is just amazing on anything you want to season) or use your favorite seasoning, smoke in a 200* cooker until the IT is 125. Pull and rest under a foil tent for 30-45 minutes. Slice and devour.

It can seem intimidating to cook a rib roast, but it's really a very easy cook.

Hope this helps.
Awesome! Thank you sir, I will definitely try this recipe out. I am happy to say I have ordered the YS640 and super excited to join the Yoder smokin' family :)
Kung_Pow_Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-13-2016, 11:46 PM   #302
bbqwizard
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Phillip

Quote:
Ha. Well, it looks the same, just dirtier and I don't take as many pictures as I use to, if any. If I come across something I can post it, but I can't find anything right now.

You are right though, most people get over any apprehension after eating some good grub off of a new cooker.

BTW, what customizations did you do to your YS1500 cart? Just color?
Understandable. I take a lot of photos and intend to make a nice, descriptive thread, but alas that rarely happens.

I got a new cart color, two probe ports, and a customized plate that will be mounted elevated on the backside of the barrel. I didn't want them to drill/screw the plate directly onto the barrel. Once I get it, i will have my pin striper tattoo it
Quote:
Slice and devour.

It can seem intimidating to cook a rib roast, but it's really a very easy cook.
....and could possibly be the best thing you put in your mouth
By His grace, for His glory!
bbqwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2016, 12:42 AM   #303
Row Row

Well this was fun. Just read the whole thread and loved it! Good work and great pit.

oh and GBR!
Row Row is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2016, 06:47 AM   #304
SeaSalted
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwesto View Post
Keep those pics coming! I almost have my wife sold that is some good looking BBQ!
How much for the wife?
SeaSalted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2016, 07:56 AM   #305
alecksjaycubs
Full Fledged Farker

Fantastic thread! Do you notice less smoke on the left side of the cooker? Seems with the HMS holes starting in the middle and the stack on the right that the left side might get neglected a bit.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #306
rorkin
Full Fledged Farker

If you think about it it seems to me that a ys 1500 is a stick burner just with smaller sticks.

Of course there is that fan thing 😌
GMG Davy Crockett
KCBS Master Judge/Certified Table Captain/100+ Club
SCA Prime Judge

"I have more smokers than I need but not as many as I want "
rorkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #307
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecksjaycubs View Post
Fantastic thread! Do you notice less smoke on the left side of the cooker? Seems with the HMS holes starting in the middle and the stack on the right that the left side might get neglected a bit.
Not really, maybe just a touch. Plenty of air and smoke come up the left wall before the plate and you can open the HMS damper to adjust temps allowing smoke that path also. I've never really tried to quantify it, but it's not a major difference. The only reason I can think for the right side to have any more smoke is because it will "pile-up" there as it waits to exhaust.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #308
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorkin View Post
If you think about it it seems to me that a ys 1500 is a stick burner just with smaller sticks.

Of course there is that fan thing 😌
Yep, almost. The airflow is different with a natural draft vs. fan controller and that does yield some difference, but the way the YS1500 (and Cimmaron pellet) is designed is as a stickburner with a pellet hopper instead of a firebox basically.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #309
ChefKevRTR

Default Yoders, built like a tank & smoke like a dream.

I just bought a Yoder this past weekend too - a Yoder Loaded Wichita. After the initial burn-off and seasoning, I've done 2 smokes in it this week so far (the week is still early��); chickens on Tuesday and pork butt yesterday. The hardest thing I've had to get used to is how hot and how efficient this beast runs....if that makes any sense.
Can you give me any advise on how to stay ahead of the fire.....meaning, keeping a consistent hot fire while avoiding big swings in temperature? Prior to this smoker, I was smoking on a mass produced, made in China of thin tin model for 15 years, so this is a MAJOR step up all around.
Thanks
ChefKevRTR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #310
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefKevRTR View Post
I just bought a Yoder this past weekend too - a Yoder Loaded Wichita. After the initial burn-off and seasoning, I've done 2 smokes in it this week so far (the week is still early��); chickens on Tuesday and pork butt yesterday. The hardest thing I've had to get used to is how hot and how efficient this beast runs....if that makes any sense.
Can you give me any advise on how to stay ahead of the fire.....meaning, keeping a consistent hot fire while avoiding big swings in temperature? Prior to this smoker, I was smoking on a mass produced, made in China of thin tin model for 15 years, so this is a MAJOR step up all around.
Thanks
I'll send you a PM so we don't hijack this post.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #311
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

This thread is gonna end up costing me dearly!! Lol

I may sell some stuff to get a YS pellet AND a gravity fed style sealed cabinet smoker!!!

Because I can't make up my dang mind!! Lol
-BGE Mini --------------------------- "CHERRY POPPER"
Big Swole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2016, 01:48 PM   #312
Big Swole
is one Smokin' Farker

This ( A YS ) will have to be next on my list in a few years. Ordered an Insulated Vertical Cabinet for now.
-BGE Mini --------------------------- "CHERRY POPPER"
Big Swole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 PM   #313
RockinGbbq
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I'm new to the forum, and have been looking around for a new pellet smokers. Man you convinced me. As soon as I sell pitzilla I'm ordering one! Thanks for doing such a thorough review. It really helps when trying to make a big decision between smokers you don't have the opportunity to use until you buy one.
RockinGbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2016, 11:55 PM   #314
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

I love that this thread is still going strong. I cook offset but have always had this special place in my heart to get the 1500 one day...

Old 08-02-2016, 11:16 PM   #315
bbqwizard
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Phillip

Have you ever used your cooker with a battery/inverter setup? If so, what sized inverter did you use? (wattage wise)
By His grace, for His glory!
bbqwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food pron, pellet cooker, pellet grill, pellet smoker, smoke, Yoder, Yoder Smokers, Yoder YS1500