MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
Smoker101
On the road to being a farker

Default First smoked pork butt

I will be smoking my first pork butt this weekend and i have some questions i have the basic idea of what i need to do pit temp 225-250 rub on the outside and smoke time will be around 12-14 hours. my major question is i am using cowboy lump charcoal, i have the maverick et 732 temp probe and i have the aubern temp controller. My question is will my lump last that long with that long of a smoke? i know lump burns hotter and faster...is that correct? i would like some input on this because i dont want to add anymore fuel if needed. All the help is very wonderful. i will have to take pictures of my setup while and after the cook. everyone have a fun and safe weekend and no bbq'ing beside your house

Old 09-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Open it up a little, let the temps hang closer to the 240-260 range and for an 8 to 9 lb bone-in butt it should bring the cook time down to 9 to 10 hours. If you foil around that 4th to 5th hour you'll bring your cook time down a little as well.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
jquade
Got Wood.

Will foiling compromise the bark? I like a nice crusty bark on mine.
jquade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Foiling will compromise the bark. I don't foil butts except when resting in a cooler.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

I use lump all of the time and have no problem maintaining temps,for as long as 20 hrs. I feel that the bark adds too much to the pulled pork for me to foil.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
jquade
Got Wood.

Amen Brother!
jquade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieh70301 View Post
Foiling will compromise the bark. I don't foil butts except when resting in a cooler.
One person's compromise is another's perfect bark...

Crusty is hard to serve to a paying customer, and in a competition it'll get you DAL in a hurry. I'm not saying crusty isn't likeable or wonderful. It's just a beauty-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder thing.

Foiling will give you VERY moist tender meat, including some if not most of the crust.

I'll use pulled pork (because chopping it is akin. to ruining perfection) in many things besides the obvious straight up and/or in sandwiches. I'll use it in soups and stews religiously, where crunchy doesn't cut it... So, we'll err on the side of moist and tender, including the bark, which is a nice deep mahogany brown color and full of spicy flavor.

One could easily debate that to compromise the bark would be to make it crunchy, or leathery (chewey), or blackened...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Smoker101

*UPDATE*

the store was out of bone in pork butt so i went and bought a boneless one. Is there any difference in the cook times with this?

Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

Most boneless butts I've seen in regular grocery stores were enhanced. Check the label, if it's enhanced, don't use any salt in your rub.

The only boneless butts I've seen that weren't enhanced were from costco and sams.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #10
Smoker101

i bought this fresh from the meat counter. they were in the meat case so i got to pick it out.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #11
propsync
Knows what a fatty is.

Cowboy will change the game a bit. I've only seen it burn hot and fast. Somebody here has your info, but I'd be drinking beer right next to it, just in case. You might have trouble taming temps. To that end, make sure you leave the lid on and don't peek. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #12
plethoraofpinatas

Quote:
Originally Posted by propsync View Post
Cowboy will change the game a bit. I've only seen it burn hot and fast. Somebody here has your info, but I'd be drinking beer right next to it, just in case. You might have trouble taming temps. To that end, make sure you leave the lid on and don't peek. Good luck.
Ain't this the truth! I started using Cowboy Lump and have continually had temp problems with my WSM, even after 30+ cooks in the last two years. I will be cooking on Kingsford briquettes (thank you HD Labor Day sale!) tomorrow morning and based on what I've read on this forum, I expect fewer temp spikes and a more even cook.

I agree with ealier posts, shoot for 250, don't freak out during the stall (that's where the magic happens!) and rest in blankets in a cooler for at least an hour. Now foiling... that's a convo for another thread!

Coming soon! - Oyler 700
Lang 60 Deluxe
22.5" WSM (x2), 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTS
Char Griller Smoker Pro w/ SFB, reverse flow mod
plethoraofpinatas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 03:57 AM   #13
Chef Country
is one Smokin' Farker

I cook mine in the 275-300 range and cuts the time down to 6 hrs max no foil good bark but most people think im farkin crazy till they have some of my Q that is
Shop built 300 gal smoker
Traeger bbq 125 with digital 180 controller
collecting parts for a 500gal reverse flow build
Chef Country is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 04:28 AM   #14
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Not intending to offend anyone from Wellington, KS (I was born in Wellington, KS) I have found that, with pork shoulder and it's two cuts, the lower and slower you can go, the better the results.

I used to cook at higher temps, but that was just because my old offset cooker was leaky and I found it difficult to keep the cooking chamber anywhere below 275

And - because it was leaky I had to add quite a bit of lump every hour or so to the firebox.

I definitely foil when the internal temp hits 165F (add some apple juice and a splash of bourbon to the pork when you foil it) and take it up to finish at 195

I like cooking for longer times - it gives me more time to drink beer.

Your UDS is likely to do a more efficient job than my old offset. I've cooked pork a couple times on my UDS now. With a UDS you should be able to go the whole cook without adding lump. How big is your charcoal basket?
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2011, 04:39 AM   #15
Chef Country
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post
Not intending to offend anyone from Wellington, KS (I was born in Wellington, KS) I have found that, with pork shoulder and it's two cuts, the lower and slower you can go, the better the results.

I used to cook at higher temps, but that was just because my old offset cooker was leaky and I found it difficult to keep the cooking chamber anywhere below 275

And - because it was leaky I had to add quite a bit of lump every hour or so to the firebox.

I definitely foil when the internal temp hits 165F (add some apple juice and a splash of bourbon to the pork when you foil it) and take it up to finish at 195

I like cooking for longer times - it gives me more time to drink beer.

Your UDS is likely to do a more efficient job than my old offset. I've cooked pork a couple times on my UDS now. With a UDS you should be able to go the whole cook without adding lump.
no offense taken everyone is entitled to their own opinion, its just to bad yours is wrong (smart ars mod) I use to cook low and slow then i added more air to the fire, as fast as i drink beer i don't need alot of time. I have modified my rubs and always come out with a juicy butt. only time i go low and slow anymore is with my whole hog
Shop built 300 gal smoker
Traeger bbq 125 with digital 180 controller
collecting parts for a 500gal reverse flow build
Chef Country is offline   Reply With Quote