BBQ Brethren Throwdown - "Corn Meal"

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This weeks category is...

[size=+2]"Corn Meal"[/size]
DSC07589.jpg

Photo courtesy of thirdeye himself

Cornmeal - Anything using a cornmeal (or corn flour) batter or dough such as: cornbread, muffins, hoecakes, Johnny Cakes, biscuits, dumplings, cookies, polenta, grits, hushpuppies etc.

Here is the simple and unchanging list of rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown which we follow every week!

1) The item must be either Grilled or Smoked.
2) Entries must be cooked during the current throwdown week ( 5/11 - 5/17 ).
3) All pics (any number) must be submitted by 9pm Central on 5/18.
4) Only one picture from one dish will be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise I will choose and my decision will be final.
5) If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.

The voting will begin by Tuesday 5/19 after I submit the "Vote" thread and voting will close on Sunday 5/24. All votes will be public.

Next weeks category will be decided by the winner of the Peppers wrapped in Bacon throwdown, Rick's Tropical Delight!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Cornmeal - Anything using a cornmeal (or corn flour) batter or dough such as: cornbread, muffins, hoecakes, Johnny Cakes, biscuits, dumplings, cookies, polenta, grits, hushpuppies etc.

Here is the simple and unchanging list of rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown which we follow every week!

1) The item must be either Grilled or Smoked.

Point of clarification:

Nearly nothing in your example is a Grill or Smoked item (I know, I know, one can get pretty creative. But a grilled hushpuppy or smoked cookie? Don't think so)

So if I were to make some smoked pulled pork, and use corn meal in a masa, would pulled pork tamales be acceptable?

I hear Guy makes a mean chicken fried on his smoker! :p Would Bigabyte DQ him though? that's the question. :lol:

Point of clarification:

Nearly nothing in your example is a Grill or Smoked item (I know, I know, one can get pretty creative. But a grilled hushpuppy or smoked cookie? Don't think so)

So if I were to make some smoked pulled pork, and use corn meal in a masa, would pulled pork tamales be acceptable?

If smoked cookies are out of the question, then maybe grilled cookies or grilled grits!:icon_smil

Point of clarification:

We had a little discussion about this in the Bean Throwdown thread and I'm thinking that "grilled" or "smoked" is synonymous with "cooked in a grill or smoker". After-all, those terms didn't slow us down when the categories were pizza and bread.

We did discuss the legality of frying a hushpuppy or some cornmeal battered fish and it sounds okay as long as it's done in a cooker, even though it's dangerous to do so. Grits could be the cheesy grits and baked in a cooker. Tamales would qualify as having cornmeal, but would have to be steamed in the cooker, which would be tough. Are you familiar with Gorditas, they are made from masa and could ge easily grilled or griddled. As far as cookies, pancakes or cornbread...all of those can be cooked in a cooker. I have one of these two sided griddles that just sets on the grate and could handle any of those.

lodgegriddleLSRG3.jpg

Or pulled pork tacos?

Sure, as long as you made the dough and cooked the tortillas in your cooker. (A storebought pack of tortillas is a corn flour product, not a batter or dough). On the upside, you could use storebought pulled pork.

Last edited:
Wayne, you just had to go and mention Gorditas, dint ya!!:-D Now I'm hungry. Pretty soon all the local churches will be having their annual bazaars and festivals...........each one will have a minimum of 3 Gordita stands and still won't be able to keep up with the lines. Those things are a labor of love. And oh so good.
Being that the rules are a little clearer now, the gorditas reminded me of the Mexican Pizza's my grandma's and mom still make from time to time. I may consider going that route instead.
Decisions, decisions.!!!:twisted:

THanks for the explaination thirdeye.

Makes sense now.

I missed the bean discussion on this, so thanks for the reprint of the main ideas

If you visit that thread, I used this corny example of a corn dog being tough to do in a cooker, then suggested some cornbread batter could be poured into a muffin tin and slices of hot dog pushed in.....then baked. I can't get that out of my mind. Probably want to grill the dog before slicing, but I bet this might be good. I'll call this one Plan H. :biggrin:

Just for clarification, I do not DQ anyone. I leave it up to the voters. All entries are accepted so long as they fit the theme. It is up to the voters to "NOT" vote for any items they feel are objectionable. As i point out in the rules, all complaints will be ignored.

Just for clarification, I do not DQ anyone. I leave it up to the voters. All entries are accepted so long as they fit the theme. It is up to the voters to "NOT" vote for any items they feel are objectionable. As i point out in the rules, all complaints will be ignored.

:biggrin: that's what i would say.

i would also say... people that never enter cannot ask questions about what is allowable :biggrin:

i will be making cornbread in my lodge corn bread pan this weekend until i get it right.

Congrats! You have earned the right to ask questions then.:lol: However, based on the rules listed, depending on the nature of the question, there is a possibility it could be ignored.:wink::biggrin:

:biggrin: that's what i would say.

i would also say... people that never enter cannot ask questions about what is allowable :biggrin:

i will be making cornbread in my lodge corn bread pan this weekend until i get it right.

Is that little kid coming over to eat the mistakes? Turning him loose with a jar of honey and some cornbread would make for some classic photography.

Is that little kid coming over to eat the mistakes? Turning him loose with a jar of honey and some cornbread would make for some classic photography.

nope, i'm cooking for 17 at a golf outing all weekend. how about 17 drunk golfers and a tub of honey? :biggrin:

Back