Smoked Bologna

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
Giving this a try this weekend -

Any type of Bologna I should by or just get a chunk/chub of bologna from the local grocery store

Thank you

Any will do. I like Kretschmar, when I can find it. Boars head is good too. I have been known to use BAR S, which is about as cheap as you can get. Still turns out good.

I only have access to Bar S. I'd love to try a better brand.

I buy 3 or 5lb chubs. Either score, season and smoke...

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60224&highlight=smoked+bologna+cowgirl

DVuA3jJ.jpg

or filet, stuff, roll, wrap in bacon then smoke.

qO2pOOE.jpg

LTd0ukG.jpg

I only have access to Bar S. I'd love to try a better brand.

I buy 3 or 5lb chubs. Either score, season and smoke...

or filet, stuff, roll, wrap in bacon then smoke.

Same problem here. I do find a good deal on the good stuff once in a while. Check the deli counter, instead of where they have the lunch meat. They generally have better stuff there, but it is more expensive.

Same problem here. I do find a good deal on the good stuff once in a while. Check the deli counter, instead of where they have the lunch meat. They generally have better stuff there, but it is more expensive.

Great idea, I'll check. Thanks Josh!

I prefer double smoking Berks Garlic ring bologna. Judging by the pics i am assuming this is not the type of bologna being discussed.

Tip: I find a lot of ring bologna brands to be a bit too soft in texture. I poke a few holes in the casing to allow moisture to drip out, this gives it a "meatier" texture. Just don't smoke too hot or you'll cook all the fat out. Keep the IT below 140F.

Bar S is the bottom of the barrel, I know, I’ve smoked a ton of it for my old man, but if you have access buy Wunderbar.... It’s literally the the prime rib of bologna...

I like Purnell's old fashioned bologna but it is hard to find in my area even though it's made in KY. I usually buy Heritage Farm which is Kroger brand.

Attachments

• 20181021_142655.jpg
    20181021_142655.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 315
I like to perforate the 3lb chub with a skewer and then soak in beer for a couple days. I think it adds a nice flavor. Then smoke a few hours at 225*. Slice a nice hunk off and throw it on the grill or in a cast iron pan. Damn, my mouth is watering!

Back