MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Nephews 1st BBQ Comp in Apopka FL this Weekend (On Going, Come and "Learn")

Hopefully this doesn't get too long winded, but maybe it will help some folks see some more of the ins and outs of a bbq competition............

Pretty sweet weekend ahead as I have my 13yo twin nephews 1st bbq comp ever. They've have always liked that we did bbq and alway brought our smokers down to FL and they been crushing their own bbq since we got them a 22 WSM for their bday back in Sept and had been smoking on a 22 kettle before that as I had showed them how.

Now it is time to suck them in further into this abyss . I entered them into the Backyard of the Apopka FBA event coming up http://apopkabbq.com/. I've never done an FBA, but no garnish will be nice and the hour time between turn ins will help make it way less chaotic for them during crunch time.

Figured I'd share this experience here for those that may not have seen much of BBQ events on the Backyard side. So showing a first time experience for 2 new comers might help. I'll "try" to share as many pics as I can and that should be easy as my goal is literally to tell them what to do and drink beer .

They've cooked all 4 meats before, not necessarily "comp style", but have seen me go through the motions many times before at their house. The big difference is they are under the gun and have 4 meats all at once and there is a good chance I'll "fall asleep" before turn ins.........

FBA Backyard at this event they cook all 4 meats so along with their WSM I am bringing one drum for them to use. I've done 4 meats on one WSM, but this will help not make things too much of a shuffle. No stokers, just wake up Sat morning and run hot. I don't know if all FBA Backyard events cook the 4 meats, but in KCBS normally it is just 2 or 3 with Chicken & Ribs always and most do Pork.

My goal is to not touch much of anything especially during turn ins. Looking forward to them suffering through chicken trimming, though legs are pretty easy. We have 3 butts and I will trim one to show them and then let them trim ribs (which is pretty simply and they have done a lot) and they have trimmed brisket before, but I'll instruct them on how it do it, which isn't hard. Will be interesting to see if they argue. They get along super well, but 2 minds at a bbq event can get interesting. Glad on our team I just have me to answer to .

So come along and "learn" or whatever the heck is about to happen!! We'll leave super early tomorrow for the 7'ish hour drive and get setup with the camper. You guys still reading this crap????

Here are some initial pics........

Here's the back of my small toy hauler setup one of the fold up couch/beds is out and a table goes there. I wish we could make they go the 2 canopy setup, but with wife and tiny'ish human in tow the twins get the "life of luxury". I might still make them sleep outside just out of spite

One drum loaded

This brisket is a Costco prime. Seems fancy, but it's the same price as choice so that's what I got. The reason it is resealed is there looked like there was a gash I didn't catch when I bought it so I opened it just to make sure I didn't get surprised when we got there.

Butts and the rest of the meat. I am bringing one package of legs trimmed from my freezer just in case these legs I bring suck

2nd time I've used my new Rtic 65. This time is it full up. I don't normally cook 3 butts so it is slightly more full than it would be, but still room in there for some beers or injections

Fridge loaded with beer and other crap

More to come, but though this would be worth sharing........or as standard it will be quite disappointing

Please ask questions if you have them or simply comment on how I am wasting more of your time . All things welcome here .

Old 02-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
checkrd past
Full Fledged Farker

GOOD LUCK to you guys
checkrd past is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
Mrhdvrod
Knows what a fatty is.

Hmmm that’s not terribly far from where I live, might have to check it out this weekend. If they enjoy cooking on the hunsaker and decide to add one, ill be selling mine complete with 2 baskets and the hanging ring cheap since its not getting any use with the Mak 2 star in the picture.
Mrhdvrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

Everything was looking good and then I see icehouse edge in the fridge. You must have fully lost your mind.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:13 PM   #5
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron_si View Post
Everything was looking good and then I see icehouse edge in the fridge. You must have fully lost your mind.
Because there aren't enough of them in there????

Old 02-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
HOBONICHOLBBQ
On the road to being a farker

I think you might need more Parkay
HOBONICHOLBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBONICHOLBBQ View Post
I think you might need more Parkay
Wait till you see what it is for..........not all of it is for the meat............

Told my nephews that as part of the "comp initiation" get ready for weird stuff to happen with parkay at any moment as it is a "tradition" . They seemed to believe me.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #8
PatAttack

Looks like you have injections ready to go for them...???

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #9
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
Looks like you have injections ready to go for them...???
Ya. They've taken the 5 seconds and helped me mix butchers with water before so just got that out of the way

Old 02-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #10
HogGrog
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Awesome thread and fun times ahead.

I’m along for the ride, thanks!
Bar-B-Que ain’t air pollution…
HogGrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #11
tom b

Following along sound like fun

Old 02-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #12
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
Wait till you see what it is for..........not all of it is for the meat............

Told my nephews that as part of the "comp initiation" get ready for weird stuff to happen with parkay at any moment as it is a "tradition" . They seemed to believe me.

Don't make me move this to Woodpile

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #13
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post

Don't make me move this to Woodpile
Ya.........I'm guessing 50/50 on that, but we'll see how tomorrow goes

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #14
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Can't wait to share the adventure.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:17 PM   #15
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

To long...toooo long. Something about kids entering a comp while being supervised by jasontq....nope! Im out. Tell the kids I'm praying for them.

Seriously... but only for 1 minute... really nice of you to get them hooked, i mean started.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backyard competition, BBQ Competition