MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:46 PM   #136
Monte Cristo
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome thread and awesome job by the team!

Old 02-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #137
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

So the overall 14th finish included that 9th Brisket and then the other 3 categories were all 16th . Never had more than 2 categories finish in the same place .

Random thoughts
-After having talked to a lot of the teams there and knowing some of the pro ones I knew the FBA backyard was pretty stiff competition. This "backyard" event definitely not as "backyard" as KCBS ones I've seen. A lot of "well traveled" teams. So their finish makes me even happier

-While the twins had my help that help was 95% just making sure they followed the timelines and reminding them to "check the meat" when not trying to kill each other as brothers do. During turn ins I helped move some of the meat around, but they fully boxed all 4 meats other than me helping put meat in for pork when the time got tight and I could tell they needed a little more help. They used rubs and injections I brought.

-The hour between turn ins was nice, but the instruction during the turn in windows caused us to definitely have to move when we were walking the boxes. I almost didn't factor that in and had to adjust after chicken . We were about as far out as you could be from the turn in tables and was close to 3mins. Was fun to see the anxious nerves of them walking their first box in and making sure they weren't late.

My meat rating as we turned them in
-Chicken: Skin didn't have perfect bite through on all the pieces that we sampled. But the best looking ones went into the box and flavor was good. Didn't blow my mind, but was fine
-Ribs: I didn't lead on how freaking good I thought these were as we turned them in, but both myself and the wife thought they tasted perfect. Tenderness was a little over, but over is better than under. We did get a comment that they were a little overdone.
-Pork: Flavor here like ribs was great. Bark on the MM flaked and was a little over in general, but the chunks were spot on for me. I knew it wasn't pretty and they did too
-Brisket: About as happy as I could have been for a prime. I don't know if the BY teams cook waygu in FBA, but their prime was great. Had to check it 3 times before it was done, but slices and burnt ends were both worthy of going in. Was a good teaching lesson that it wasn't done the first time we check it so they could feel "firm" and then finally "probing smoothly"

The overall weekend was great. We had other siblings (my wife's), cousins, in-laws and grandparents come out. The most fun I've had at a contest possibly ever. It would be interesting to see how they would fully do on their own after having a walk through with help. Glad they could get started off well.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:51 AM   #138
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

So here’s another question... who would place higher if you both entered?

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-11-2019, 04:52 AM   #139
Jason TQ

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
So here’s another question... who would place higher if you both entered?
Them most definitely

Old 02-11-2019, 07:29 AM   #140
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

WOW, this is just amazing! Congratulations to the boys!

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-11-2019, 08:03 AM   #141
QuintsRevenge
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Ben

Glad it went well :-)

Old 02-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #142
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Good.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #143
Clasko2
Full Fledged Farker

That’s awesome. Congrats to them!! Thanks for sharing this.
Clasko2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2019, 07:37 AM   #144
mschwirian
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Congrats and good for you for doing that for the boys. They were actually 8th in Brisket because of a scoring error, the #1 team was a mistake so everybody moved up.
Apopka is always a good time, lot of good backyard teams. We were there also, #4 overall.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:42 PM   #145
noles2g

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Congrats on the finish! That brisket box looked killer. 40 back yard teams!!? That's nuts. I did hear an interview with a popular FBA team saying that a good number of those BY teams should really be competing at the professional level. I think I saw a total of 71 teams so more than half were BY. Wowza. Good work!!
There is a team in that BY list I know of (not comfortable saying who) that I know does great work and I respect.. that your boys beat overall :) man totally kick butt experience and great job uncle!!! I can only hope to someday do something this cool for my son and his best friend in a few years. Priceless memories created

Old 02-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #146
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by noles2g View Post
There is a team in that BY list I know of (not comfortable saying who) that I know does great work and I respect.. that your boys beat overall :) man totally kick butt experience and great job uncle!!! I can only hope to someday do something this cool for my son and his best friend in a few years. Priceless memories created
Thanks and I had told them that while you want to do well and hear your name and even win, when there are 40 teams not everyone is going to leave happy. Any given week the same food they could have been bottom of the pack vs top. So that one call along with being in the top half was just perfect for them.

They sent us very nice hand written cards thanking us for the experience. It was so much fun to be there with them and so much of the family. Ranks right up there with some of my most memorable events.

Not saying I'm looking for the next possible one down there already.............but............

Old 02-21-2019, 06:18 AM   #147
mschwirian

Name/Nickname : Mike

Come on back down, FBA is always looking for good teams.

Tags
backyard competition, BBQ Competition