Amazing how butts can lie so well...

K

Keri C

Ten butts, all pretty much the same size. All injected. They went in about nine hours ago. See that back butt, bottom shelf, on the left side? (Pic taken earlier this afternoon.) Well, when I Thermapen-ed the butt, the temp says 180-185 in various places through the butt. The rest of them are still pre-pulling stage, but that one just decided that it wanted out of there.

IMG_1941.jpg

The bone fell out when I grabbed it. It was completely collapsed in on itself already. When I tried to pick up the butt to move it, it fell apart in abject terror.

The temp says it's not done, but everything else says that it's quite nicely done. Just goes to show you that meat lies - don't always believe the thermometer. The meat will tell you when it's done.

Lyin' butt... :roll:

Keri C

what i really like are the grate temp probe holders! no lie!

nice butts

Jim, it just SOUNDS like I'm feeding an army. That's one butt and two briskets for DH Robert's folks at work tomorrow (21). That's two butts for a co-worker who has now given me two truckloads of split hickory and a van load of split oak. That's one butt for my 87-year-old grandma and some of her buddies that we've spoiled to decent pulled pork. That's two butts for meat to go in two different huge batches of Hog Apple beans over the next few weeks. That's two more butts to use to make Pulled Pork Pizzas Friday night at Art of BBQ. The other two will get parceled out into 1-lb vac pkgs and put into the freezer for whatever uses come along.

I don't know WHAT I'm feeding for 4th of July... :confused:

(The fattie got scarfed when DH Robert got home from work with some sliced homegrown maters.)

Can't really know if your butts are hot enough unless you feel them up a little.

Gotta agree with fondling your butts to tell if their done.
Hey my sister lives in Broken Arrow. In a sub division on a golf course, I can't remember the name of it. I'll hav e to look you up next time I"m in town.

Jim, it just SOUNDS like I'm feeding an army. That's one butt and two briskets for DH Robert's folks at work tomorrow (21). That's two butts for a co-worker who has now given me two truckloads of split hickory and a van load of split oak. That's one butt for my 87-year-old grandma and some of her buddies that we've spoiled to decent pulled pork. That's two butts for meat to go in two different huge batches of Hog Apple beans over the next few weeks. That's two more butts to use to make Pulled Pork Pizzas Friday night at Art of BBQ. The other two will get parceled out into 1-lb vac pkgs and put into the freezer for whatever uses come along.

I don't know WHAT I'm feeding for 4th of July... :confused:

(The fattie got scarfed when DH Robert got home from work with some sliced homegrown maters.)

Hog Apple Beans.........now that sounds like some good eats!!:mrgreen:

Got a recipe for that Keri?

I've had a butt lie to me too!! I had one at 202 by the thermapen and was as rubbery as a pencil eraser!! Just did not want to pull!! All the rest of the butts we did that day (21 others) pulled just fine.

ZBQ, my husband is a bit of a traveling man himself. I've had several ask me for the recipe in the short time I've been hanging around here, so I'll post it under a separate subject. In the meantime (since I have to go deal with the cooker for a while at the moment), the recipe is also here, amongst other places on the web: http://www.burntbuttbbq.com/recipes/beans/page15.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Keri!! :-D

It never ceases to amaze me just how many of us "travelers" there are and you never know when or where you are going to meet. :-D Fraternal regards to your travelin husband.:-D

The recipe for the beans sounds great and I will be using it shortly. Thanks for sharing.

And yet another recipe to try. My to-try folder is growing exponentionally. Thanks Keri! BTW...your Butts look great :biggrin:

The temp says it's not done, but everything else says that it's quite nicely done. Just goes to show you that meat lies - don't always believe the thermometer. The meat will tell you when it's done.

Lyin' butt... :roll:

Keri C
The Gospael according to Keri C.
Amen to that, Sister, Amen to that!

Back