Foil balls in WSM water pan

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
This is my first cook using foil balls in the WSM water pan instead of water or apple juice. So far, I'm loving it. Thanks for the idea guys.

Never heard of that idea, keep us posted. BTW, got pics?

That's the only way i run my pro-q, filled with baseball sized foil balls, than 3-4 layers of HD foil on top, replace the first layer or so every cook and you're good to go!

Sorry, no pictures. Our camera is with my family in TX.
I simply filled the bowl almost full of about fist sized balls of foil (give or take) and then put a couple of layers over the top. I wish I would have added more layers on top, so I could do what early mornin' smokin' does...just peel of the top layer.

So far, four hours in, still running steady at 250 and it took NO time to get there. When I used liquids, I had major fluctuations for a while.

You can save some foil. I put a layer of foil in the water pan, then 4 ping pong ball size balls, and three layers of foil, and it works great.

This method is new to me too! I'm still going to be a fan of the clay saucer covered in foil method though.

I've been using a sand pan forever, and this is new to me too. Very interesting.

Instead of using foil balls, try some half crushed aluminum cans. That works too.

I use the clay pot as well.... would this work for getting temps up for: ie; turkey, high temp brisket?

This method is new to me too! I'm still going to be a fan of the clay saucer covered in foil method though.

After a year of using water, I tried the claypot method this past weekend and was chasing temps through out the cook. I got into trouble early when in the first hour or so the temp got up to 295 real quick, after that I was between 240-275 with constant adjusting. I'll try the foil ball method this weekend.

So, do the balls serve a specific purpose as opposed to just covering the pan with foil? This is an interesting idea. I am just wondering what function the balls serve.

I creates an air space between the water pan, and where the drippings land. it minimizes radiant heat from the drip pan, letting you cook on the lower grate without drying out the meat that is there.
The down side is that you don't have the heat sink that you do with water, or sand, so temperature control is trickier.

I creates an air space between the water pan, and where the drippings land. it minimizes radiant heat from the drip pan, letting you cook on the lower grate without drying out the meat that is there.
The down side is that you don't have the heat sink that you do with water, or sand, so temperature control is trickier.

and that's what she said

I have a large ceramic pizza stone in mine, and am a huge fan of it. I can cook a turkey at 375 or anything else low and slow at 225 ~ all with vent control.
That said though, I've learned you gotta grab the temps on the way up, twice. Temps will climb quickly, then level out until the met gets warmer, then they can spike again.

I start with top open, bottoms all at 2/3's open. Climbs quick to 220, then down to 1/4 open. After a while, then all to barely a sliver (or closed). Love the WSM and pizza stone.

I get what you are saying there but what does that have to do with the foil balls? Why not just put the sheet of foil over the empty pan? The only thing I can think is it reduces the volume of air within that space while not absorbing as much heat as water or sand might.

Brian, I'm not sure I agree about temp control being trickier...it's been eight hours and I have had it running between 225-250 the whole ride (well, except for the first half hour when I was playing with airflow). I always had trouble with the liquids. Maybe I just got "lucky"???

I have heard of the sand and the clay methods, too, but not having either on hand, I thought I'd try this. So far, still very happy. Is it better than the other methods, I can't say...but I am gonna stick with this for a while. I could have easily done a higher temp cook, too, with this...

I use a clay saucer. I haven't tried the foil balls.

Temperature control is rock stable for me with the clay saucer.

Back