Homemade Hot Sauce

AJP

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try my hand at hot sauce for some time now, figured why not.

I used some basic stuff and will add to for next time.
20 Red Fresno peppers
1 medium onion
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
salt
bit of oil
vinegar

Started with the peppers, I cut the tops off and sliced nice and thin
dscf3682medium.jpg

Added to a pan with the garlic, finely sliced onion and some oil
dscf3683medium.jpg

Cook for about 5-10 minutes
dscf3684medium.jpg

dscf3685medium.jpg

After about 5-10 minutes I added some water just to keep from browning everything but to let it cook down a bit, I cooked it till most of the water was gone
dscf3686medium.jpg

Finally I added it all to the food processor and zipped it till it was lump free, then added about a cup of vinegar
dscf3687medium.jpg

Bottled it up, made enough for 2 10oz bottles
dscf3688mediumc.jpg

Gonna let it set for about 2 weeks then should be good to go.

I sampled a bit of it and it wasnt very hot, similar to Frank's Red Hot. I think next time I will triple the garlic and maybe add one habanero or a scotch bonnet for a bit more heat.

Interesting... let us know how the final product turned out.....:thumb:

So far it has a good flavor, we shall see what a bit of time does to it. The garlic is just a personal thing, and the heat was just something I wanted to try. Although as it stands heat wise should work perfect for some eggs or biscuits and gravy.

i like that. Im going to try something similar. My brother thinks he is the man because he uses diluted habaneros for carne asada. Ill surprise him:)

Gave it a small sample today, flavor is building well.

I've been wanting to try my hand at hot sauce for some time now, figured why not.

I used some basic stuff and will add to for next time.
20 Red Fresno peppers
1 medium onion
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
salt
bit of oil
vinegar

Started with the peppers, I cut the tops off and sliced nice and thin
dscf3682medium.jpg

Added to a pan with the garlic, finely sliced onion and some oil
dscf3683medium.jpg

Cook for about 5-10 minutes
dscf3684medium.jpg

dscf3685medium.jpg

After about 5-10 minutes I added some water just to keep from browning everything but to let it cook down a bit, I cooked it till most of the water was gone
dscf3686medium.jpg

Finally I added it all to the food processor and zipped it till it was lump free, then added about a cup of vinegar
dscf3687medium.jpg

Bottled it up, made enough for 2 10oz bottles
dscf3688mediumc.jpg

Gonna let it set for about 2 weeks then should be good to go.

I sampled a bit of it and it wasnt very hot, similar to Frank's Red Hot. I think next time I will triple the garlic and maybe add one habanero or a scotch bonnet for a bit more heat.

That would go over well with my kid. He LOVES hot sauce.

With my wife? Not so much. She doesn't.

Let us know how it works out.

nice color on the sauce. Looking forward to the results...

I love homa made hot sauce, That has a real good color and looks tasty..

I cook mine using vinegar instead of water. Might give it a try. :thumb:

Have you thought about adding some powered cayenne to the current batch to heaten it up a bit? It looks fantastic!

I cook mine using vinegar instead of water. Might give it a try. :thumb:

I did think of that, was worried the vinegar flavor would over power, I didn't want a Tabasco style sauce.

Have you thought about adding some powered cayenne to the current batch to heaten it up a bit? It looks fantastic!

Seemed like cheating, besides it may heat up a bit yet.

Don't add much... a little goes a long way with that stuff!

that looks great!! i make my bbq sauce but never thought of making hot sauce, i have about 2o kinds of hot sauce thanks for the idea

I love hot sauce but I've been stuck on Thai Sriracha. It's been my favorite for the last few months.

I need to try the homemade stuff. It sure looks good.

thats purty. I can just see some hot wings sauced with that stuff mmmmm

Be careful with garlic - it can carry the spores that cause botulism, and they can survive boiling temperatures. They're killed by low pH, so if there's enough vinegar it's safe - but I don't know what "enough" vinegar would be. Oxygen kills the spores, too, so if you're not canning the sauce, you MIGHT be OK. I personally would leave out the garlic, or use basically pure vinegar. There's more than one reason why Tabasco has so much vinegar!

In any case, if you use it within a week or so, you might be OK.

Back