First comp question

armor

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have never been to a comp but would like to get into one this summer. My question has nothing to do with cooking or turn-ins. I have one canopy and a 7 man tent with a screened porch off of the tent. I will be smoking on a trailered offset. I don't have unlimited funds so I'm wondering if I should go with 2 canopies with sides sleeping in one or use what i have. Just wondering what you guys did at your first comp.

If your smoking with an off-set and this will be your first comp, there won't be any sleeping. :cool:

Keep it simple for your first time out. :thumb:

I have never been to a comp but would like to get into one this summer. My question has nothing to do with cooking or turn-ins. I have one canopy and a 7 man tent with a screened porch off of the tent. I will be smoking on a trailered offset. I don't have unlimited funds so I'm wondering if I should go with 2 canopies with sides sleeping in one or use what i have. Just wondering what you guys did at your first comp.

I think you answered your own question.

Go with what you've got, and see how it goes . . . for you.

For one comp, two days, how wrong could it possibly be?

Afterwards, if you continue to do others, you'll be in a good position to decide how to spend limited funds.

FYI, I went with 2 canopies with sides my first comp. I had one already, and added another for the comp. If I had a 7 man tent and a canopy, I would have gone with that and been just as fine.

I usually sleep under the stars, if I sleep at all. It's what ever you like, what part of Virginia are you in?

I am competing in my first comp next month and I don't plan on sleeping but only a little while so a bag chair should do.

Here is my tip for the day. After the comp is done and you are loading up make notes on the things you did not use or need and what you should of had and eliminate almost anything you did not use except say things like bandages, meds, fire extinguisher ect.

I sleep in my S-10, one tent with sides if needed, three tables one short one and don't forget to make you some table leg extensions from pvc pipe, it will save the old back from all the bending over, wait thats three tips. just can't help myself I guess. :dancer:
Dave

I had one non-ez-up pole awning, and slept in the bed of my truck.. my bro-in-law slept in the bed of his truck or in a lounger next to the cooker. If it rained we slept in our truck cabs, and put the awning over the top of the cooker. 2 tables. Meat cooler, beer cooler,

Those were the days. Good luck with that first cook, and above all have fun :)

You guys probably don't do very well without any quality sleep? :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong. I have got a hotel room a couple times, but find I can't relax and sleep. Waste of money (for me at least) unless you just want a shower and a real bathroom. I like to be near the action :thumb:

Go with what you got. It'll work fine. My team had a tent for sleeping in for the first few contests, but we now sleep in our cars unless it's a major three day event like Stagecoach.

Personally, I think the less crap you take with you, the better.

Sleeping in cars gets the job done with nothing to set up or tear down, on the first comps there is too much adrendaline going on.

my first comp was 3 miles from my house.......left the cooks meeting did some prep...prayed that no one messed with my stuff and went home to my bed:shock:, needless to say I'll never do that again

Here is my tip for the day. After the comp is done and you are loading up make notes on the things you did not use or need and what you should of had and eliminate almost anything you did not use except say things like bandages, meds, fire extinguisher ect.

I sleep in my S-10, one tent with sides if needed, three tables one short one and don't forget to make you some table leg extensions from pvc pipe, it will save the old back from all the bending over, wait thats three tips. just can't help myself I guess. :dancer:
Dave

Table leg extensions.......hadnt thought of that!!! Shweet

Sleep is over-rated.. The tent may or may not help you if you need to stake it down. Depends on where the contest is being held. Tough to put anchors in a concrete lot. 2 things I would suggest.. sides on the shelter and a zero gravity chair.

I have had one of these and it has had a lot of use from mountains to seashore. Very well made, roomy and a zip to set up. Takes very little room to store. Highly recommended.

09-Openupsidesasdesiredweb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back