Tri Tip!!!!!!!

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
As some of you know my fridge is on it's last leg. Which is keeping away from keeping meats in my fridge for more than a day or so, not allowing me to be able to smoke for the time being. So today I ran into the Ralphs supermarket, got the tri tip on sale at 1.99/lb. Bolted home, started up the pit and grilled this piece to 145F internal. Had the pit going at 375F. Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, touch of cumin and lime juice.

Sorry no before pics! I was working against the clock and forgot.

DSCN3227.jpg

Tossed in a 1/2 a red onion and a bell pepper to get my servings of veggies in.

DSCN3229.jpg

DSCN3232.jpg

Wow! Might I suggest not buying a new fridge, you know, considering this and all...

That is just what I like to see, big thick slices of meat. That looks like my dream meal.

Mmmm, good looking beef there. Who needs refrigeration.

I'd easily go caveman on that. Forget the fork and knife.

That is one great looking tri-tip! Was it trimmed or untrimmed at $1.99/lb? Either way, that is a steal at that price.

That is one great looking tri-tip! Was it trimmed or untrimmed at $1.99/lb? Either way, that is a steal at that price.

Untrimmed, and I didnt trim it until after it came off the cook. I like to use it's own fat for added flavor.

At 140* how tender was the Tri and did you let it rest? Hard typing with my tounge on the keyboard...................

At 140* how tender was the Tri and did you let it rest? Hard typing with my tounge on the keyboard...................

I took it to 145* and did not let it rest at all really. The very tip was less moist, since it is the smallest part of the cut, it was probably a good 10* hotter than the fattest part of the cut.

Nice looking tri-tip. Hot and fast is where it's at! I like to pull mine at 125F then let it set for 20 minutes. mmmmm good.

I agree 100% I'd be eating tri-tips at every meal at that price:biggrin:. Nice looking grub.

Back