MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Blue Ridge BBQ Festival "BACK ON" for 2010!!!!!

http://www.blueridgebbqfestival.com/...news.asp?ID=48

Blue Ridge BBQ & Music Festival back on for 2010

COLUMBUS, N.C.— Fortified by an overwhelming show of community support, the Board of Directors of the Carolina Foothills Chamber of Commerce voted Thursday morning to hold the 17th Annual Blue Ridge Barbecue & Music Festival on June 11 and 12 at Harmon Field in Tryon.
“After three weeks of hard work budget cutting and securing financial backing, we have a festival that will be as big as ever, manageable for the Chamber and a great showcase for our area,” said Andy Millard, Chamber president. “I have been humbled and gratified over the last few weeks at how our community has pulled together to make this event happen for all of us.”
It was three weeks ago that the board voted to cancel the popular annual event citing burnout of key volunteers, financial risk to the Chamber and insufficient return on investment for an event that had grown to attracting more than 20,000 people to Polk County each year. “Within days we began hearing from people across the community who were willing to step-up and do their part to keep the event going,” said Millard.
“When we sent out the call that we needed $75,000 in pledges for a rainy day fund, we had what we needed to move forward within a week.
"As of today more than $80,000 in pledges has been received, and the Board has raised the goal to $100,000. “The larger the potential fund, the less the liability for each individual,” Millard said, “and this gives more people the opportunity to participate. —So with new recruits joining experienced volunteers on our steering committee, a fit budget, and a solid rainy day fund, we are moving full steam ahead for a successful event in 2010.”

According to Festival chair Dale Musselwhite, the steering committee was able to reduce the Festival’s overall budget by 25 percent without affecting the main attractions and overall experience for festival-goers.
“We’re building on what works best for the Festival and trimming the fat,” said Musselwhite. “Cook teams and festival-goers will enjoy the same Festival they have come to love over the years; we’ll just be running a much tighter operation behind the scenes.”
As always, this year’s Festival will feature Hog Heaven, with more than 80 cook teams from across the United States; live music on two stages; a Kids Fun Park; Foothills Craft Fair and so much more—all for $6 admission with kids 12 and under free.
The Blue Ridge Barbecue & Music Festival is presented by the Carolina Foothills Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber provides leadership in developing business and economic opportunities that enhance the quality of life in Polk County, N.C. and Landrum, S.C.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

That is phenomenal!! I know that everyone was bummed that the contest closed out. Now I will have to work on getting assigned back in Asheville again.....
Cleveland, Ohio

Jambo (J-3) Black on Black-with Hot Rod Flames
FEC w/ IQ4
U2CANQUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

So I might be mistaken, but am I to understand that if the Tryon contest doesnt raise $100k for the city that the people that pledged funds to their rainy day fund are on the hook for the difference? It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
So I might be mistaken, but am I to understand that if the Tryon contest doesnt raise $100k for the city that the people that pledged funds to their rainy day fund are on the hook for the difference? It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.
I could be wrong but I think that they needed $75k to have the event and the (newer) $100k figure is to "do more". I assume if they don't raise the difference, they will work with what they have.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finney View Post
I could be wrong but I think that they needed $75k to have the event and the (newer) $100k figure is to "do more". I assume if they don't raise the difference, they will work with what they have.

So the folks that pledged money have already stroked a check and put it in the mail to Tyron for this contest? impressive if that happened...
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote