Pre trimming competition brisket

S

smokehouserules

I have been reading that a lot of people trim the brisket to fit in the styrofoam box before it goes into the smoker so the smoke ring ends up on the sides of the meat as well. How is this accomplished?

Sledneck carries a Stanley Fat Max Extreme w/ Blade Armor tape measure to size his brisket then trims brisket accordingly to size of box provided..

Aside from that, basically you can eyeball it and leave a little extra width for shrinkage during the cook.

With practice, it becomes easier.

Does he score the meat as a guide or does he actually cut it? Is it wasteful? Does it scre up cooking time?

We cut a line down the where we eant to make the cut and than cut all the way through. There is no exact cooking time to hit your wuestion about screwing it up. We pull all our meats by temp and touch.

Does he score the meat as a guide or does he actually cut it? Is it wasteful? Does it scre up cooking time?
Trim it completely all the way through. Cooking time is still about tenderness but the time may be reduced a little, not much.

I'm jumping the gun perhaps, but I may have more to say after my cbj class on Friday.

honestly, I know cookers that just cut it to fit after the fact, and they are doing just fiine,,,

Just sayin

Sledneck carries a Stanley Fat Max Extreme w/ Blade Armor tape measure to size his brisket then trims brisket accordingly to size of box provided..

Aside from that, basically you can eyeball it and leave a little extra width for shrinkage during the cook.

With practice, it becomes easier.
Cant find that one, been using a craftsman one lately. The look on your face the first time you seen me use it was priceless

I cut down about 3/4 of the way.

Cant find that one, been using a craftsman one lately. The look on your face the first time you seen me use it was priceless

I cut down about 3/4 of the way.

Yeah.. that blew my mind.. I was like "What the fark are you doing ?" and without laughing you say "I'm measuring my brisket, what does it look like ?"

Too bad it came in 33rd and you ruined another GC shot.

Well, I met with the Stanley guys last week for new product review. They now have a new FatMax Extreme called "The Beast" coming out.. same blade armor with 13' standout and a mega hook.. see the new hook on the left.

this will be perfect for measuring your brisket.. I will give you the sample the left me.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think it matters if you pre-trim your brisket to fit the box, unless it helps you to sleep better on Friday night.

Honestly, I don't think it matters if you pre-trim your brisket to fit the box, unless it helps you to sleep better on Friday night.
With the exception of the 33rd place that ruined vinny's chances of a GC it has done well for me otherwise. Thats my story and im sticking to it:mrgreen:

somebody must be getting a lil worried bout sayville
Not worried...just thinking about doing something that i normally don't do. The trimming might have to wait till I do a practice brisket at home though. Looking forward to Sayville! I have haven't done a competition since Grill Kings @ Belmont.

A little. How'd you know? I still have to buy meat.

Buy meat? I will do that saturday morning at restaurant depot!

As far as trimming the sides, I am a firm believer in smoke ring all the way around the slice. It has worked Very well for us this year.

I apologize for not giving credit but I cant find the old thread who made this photo. I believe Pickled Pig was involved. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

We’ve been doing it, we think it looks better but to what extent I don’t know.

Last edited:
I'm jumping the gun perhaps, but I may have more to say after my cbj class on Friday.
What insight are you hoping to gain from a CBJ class about pre-trimming brisket? If you learn anything at your class it will be a darn sight better than the one I took.

if you notice, each end of a slice is a hell of a lot more tender than towards the middle. so, if you pre-cut to fit the box, you could potentially run the risk of those ends being overdone, and affect your tenderness score.... just my opinion.

if you notice, each end of a slice is a hell of a lot more tender than towards the middle. so, if you pre-cut to fit the box, you could potentially run the risk of those ends being overdone, and affect your tenderness score.... just my opinion.

Good point.

Back