MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
carpetbagger1
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Making my own Chipotles...

Never done it before but am ready to start tonight. I've been growing these babies all summer and am ready to make them even better. Also going to smoke some lemon peppers that I'm excited about as they're both spicy and very sweet.

I've had problems finding decent directions on how to go about this. Anyone have any suggestions? This is what I've gotten from the internet, and would appreciate input:

1. Shooting for 24 hours at 180.

2. A lot of things I've read say you need to clean the smoker prior to smoking the peppers. If not the peppers supposedly absorb flavors from meat that can sour them. Seriously?

Any help would be most appreciated.
carpetbagger1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Not sure about #1, absolutely sure about #2. I do the chipotle thing after a fresh re-seasoning of the smoker.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
carpetbagger1
Knows what a fatty is.

Here's the before with my worthless camera. Pooches are excited. If I have to reseason this thing, that's going to put a serious dent in my schedule.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (36.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg photo1.jpg (37.0 KB, 89 views)

Old 08-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
carpetbagger1
Knows what a fatty is.

somebody has to have some suggestions. Talk to me folks.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

There is a rather indepth "how to" somewhere on the forum. I'll see if I can find it.

One thing though. Chipotles are made from fully ripe Jalapeno's. That means all RED!

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=31179

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
carpetbagger1
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the link. Burning out the UDS tonight, and hope to start the peppers sometime tomorrow before noon. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. After growing these things all summer, I'd be pi$$ed to screw it up at this point.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:04 AM   #8
jrb03
Full Fledged Farker

Your peppers are fine. You will never taste a difference between them and the supposed ripe reds. Just make sure to clean your smoker good and keep your fire burning clean.

Pitmaker Vault
Pitmaker Grill-Meister

Backwoods Party
Backwoods Chubby

Weber Performer
WSM
Weber Smokey Joe Gold

Good Riddence
Peppercookers Trailer Offset
Chargriller Tailgate Grill
jrb03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2009, 01:33 AM   #9
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Can't help you with the peppers..And I'm tryin to pay attention cause I'll want to try that myself one day...But man that pouch looks like he's fixin to eat em before you get them on the grill.

firecrackerjack
firecracker jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
Rick's Tropical Delight

i don't claim to be an expert or have years of experience with chipotles. all i know is what has worked for me. the only way you can mess up your peppers is to burn them in the smoker. some of the chipotles i smoked two years ago were burnt because they were in the direct part of the smoker, but they still have great flavor.

if red jalapenos are not "ripe", then what are they? spoiled? rotten? it's really not an issue worth arguing about. every source i have read refers to red jalapenos as "ripe". if someone can produce a source that states green jalapenos are ripe, i'd be glad to read it. the 40 jalapenos i picked last weekend with a few still green and just turning red have all turned red now. i'll be tossing them in the smoker today.

here's a pretty good source of info on chipotles: CLICK

smoke em whole, smoke em cut in half with the seeds removed, smoke em red, smoke em green. it's all good.