UDS Flavor

big brother smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I am not sure if I like the UDS flavor on meat. The taste from the fat dripping directly on the coals provides too much fat smoke for my taste. I do not as much of a problem with chicken or brisket. On pork, however, it seems to over power the meat. It is nice to get some sleep, but man I miss that flavor profile I get from my stick burner.

When I did overnight cooks on a ECB or WSM I had know problems.

It just might be my snobby arse :biggrin:

Just want to hear from others!

I notice a distinct different in flavor between the WSM and UDS. I do prefer the WSM flavor better. I never really gave the difference any thought, but you are probably right about the "drippings."

In my WSM I use the clay pot mod and the drippings don't reach the coals, where they do on the UDS.

Blah, blah, blah my Ugly Drum Smoker blah, blah. I thought you were all about the UDS now? Moving out of the honeymoon phase and starting to see her true colors? :biggrin: I like your stick burner better too, but Lord knows you like to sleep at a contest!

I agree. I don't like the flavor as well with the drippings directly on the coals.

I did take my empty foiled water pan out of the WSM the other day for about 2 hours to finish a butt and did NOT notice the negative flavor difference. Probably becasue the bark was already formed?

Blah, blah, blah my Ugly Drum Smoker blah, blah. I thought you were all about the UDS now? Moving out of the honeymoon phase and starting to see her true colors? :biggrin: I like your stick burner better too, but Lord knows you like to sleep at a contest!

True dat! BTW: :tongue::tongue:

I think you should make a simple diverter pan that channels the juices, especially the fat, into a centralized vessel like a 5 lbs coffee can.

The fat renderings make a nice addition to a cold glass of Cream, or I like to take half fat drippings one half V8. Popdaddy, the Funk Arbitor that owns Barbefunkoramaque, paints the drippings on his skin to give himself a nice orange (non- cancer causing) tan.

Personally I like to save the renderings and pour them hot into empty Jimmy Dean Sausage Plastic casings, throw them in the freezer and serve as a Nice Pork and Beef Fat Sorbet.

Or spred the fat on the back of your lady friend... I mean how do you capture a booty, if you don't attack from the back?

I think you should make a simple diverter pan that channels the juices, especially the fat, into a centralized vessel like a 5 lbs coffee can.

The fat renderings make a nice addition to a cold glass of Cream, or I like to take half fat drippings one half V8. Popdaddy, the Funk Arbitor that owns Barbefunkoramaque, paints the drippings on his skin to give himself a nice orange (non- cancer causing) tan.

Personally I like to save the renderings and pour them hot into empty Jimmy Dean Sausage Plastic casings, throw them in the freezer and serve as a Nice Pork and Beef Fat Sorbet.

Or spred the fat on the back of your lady friend... I mean how do you capture a booty, if you don't attack from the back?[/quote]

Dr Dre mod?:icon_blush:

I am not sure if I like the UDS flavor on meat. The taste from the fat dripping directly on the coals provides too much fat smoke for my taste. I do not as much of a problem with chicken or brisket. On pork, however, it seems to over power the meat. It is nice to get some sleep, but man I miss that flavor profile I get from my stick burner.

I agree...that's why I use a heat sheild / drip pan in mine. Same principal as the flower pot mod for the WSM...only bigger. Works great! :p

I was kinda suprised at the flavor difference between the UDS and WSM. To me the drippings add a flavor that I really like. The smell it creates is nice too. Specifically what is it about the taste you don't like? Do you feel the drippings masks the taste from the wood? Just curious.

I gotta agree with Bob on this one. I too love the taste the drippings give the meat. Meat over a fire that's how it started folks.

Why not use a foil pan with a rack in it to set the butt in, then add a little water to keep drippings from burning. You will have killed two birds with one stone, drippings are saved and not burning fat on the fire. Personally I like the fat in the fire effect.
Dave

I gotta agree with Bob on this one. I too love the taste the drippings give the meat. Meat over a fire that's how it started folks.

Just because it started that way does not mean it has to end that way! My palette does not like it as much that's all, talk to my palette, chit:tongue:

I was kinda suprised at the flavor difference between the UDS and WSM. To me the drippings add a flavor that I really like. The smell it creates is nice too. Specifically what is it about the taste you don't like? Do you feel the drippings masks the taste from the wood? Just curious.

I feel it overpowers the meat, Too much juice drip smoke, lol!

Smoke is simply an ingrediant!

I got a wok defloector mod and will try that!

The right amount of smoke, fat drippings, rub and sauce makes for simply marvelous bbq.

That's what I think.

WOW, why not just call this the "I hate my UDS and need a reason not to use it" thread. :twisted:

The right amount of smoke, fat drippings, rub and sauce makes for simply marvelous bbq.

That's what I think.

Now that would make a great name for a catering co.! :rolleyes:

I ran into that too and posted what I thought: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49169

Back