First try at stuffed pork loin

Mad Max

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I had this piece of center cut pork loin and I got the idea of doing a stuffed pork loin after searching previous threads, in this forum (Thanks guys). I prepared the pork loin and made a stuffing of apple, cranberries, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, roasted red peppers and green onion. Filled the pork loin, rolled it up and tied it up with butcher's twine. I coated the outside with EVOO and seasoned with "Road Kill Critter's Seasoning" (just wanted to try it out). The loin went into the fridge over night. In the afternoon, I soaked a couple of pieces of cherry wood and apple wood, started my fire with half a chimney of briquettes. When the fire was ready I added the wood and put the roast on the grill. Set my thermos and waited. The smoker was running about 225-240, and every 40 minutes I sprayed the pork with apple juice. It took about 3 and 1/2 hours to reach the temp of the internal temp. of 160. I then foiled it and placed it in the cooler while the Parmesan risotto was finished.
The pork loin was sliced up and served as shown. The stuffing was great, but the loin was a little drier than I would have wanted, next time, I will take it off sooner and let the carry over heat finish it in the foil. Any suggestion are welcomed.

Attachments

• porkroast1.jpg
    porkroast1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 164
  • porkroast2.jpg
    porkroast2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 164
  • porkroast3.jpg
    porkroast3.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 164
  • porkroast5.jpg
    porkroast5.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 164
  • porkroast7.jpg
    porkroast7.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 162
It sure looks good!

Did you let it rest a bit before slicing?

It sure looks good!

Did you let it rest a bit before slicing?

I had it in the foil for about 35 minutes and then let it sit uncovered for about 10 minutes, before slicing. Should I have waited longer?

Gotta be tough to keep loin moist on the smoker... not much fat/connective tissue. Maybe aim for a higher temp?

Looks great though, I love the porkloin/apple combo.

You might want to consider taking it off at 150 degrees next time. It works for me.

Yep! I pull mine off at 150, and the're always moist. From the looks of yours, a little dry didn't hurt it much - looked great!

If you are wrapping it you may want to take it off at 145 as it will continue to cook some when wrapped

Did you add a bunch of apple juice when you foiled? I think a lot of people take them well beyond 160 and don't have problems... even 180... Bill???

Looks great nonetheless!!!

Did you add a bunch of apple juice when you foiled? I think a lot of people take them well beyond 160 and don't have problems... even 180... Bill???

Looks great nonetheless!!!

I sprayed it with AJ before foiling.

I usually pull them around 140*-145*, then wrap them in foil to rest. I put about 1/4 cup of AJ mixed with the rub I used for the cook to the foil. This works for me. YMMV

I might have to try something similar this weekend... Do one of those along with a fatty.

Sound good and looks good too, and I love that risotto any way you can fix it.

Looks great! I make them stuffed with Salami, provalone, roasted red peppers, and fresh basil. I'm going to try your stuffing next time.

Looks good.
I usually brine the loin and then cook at higher temps,

Yo Madmax , two pork tenderloins enter, one pork tenderloin leaves. All pun aside great job for your first time. I would hit that up many times.

sure Max

use my WSM and don't invite me.

I'll remember that

why did you not try out the drum?
I was but it was a small roast to fire up the drum. We'll fire that up on Friday night. I used the ECB, instead.

Back