Need some advice for puttin on a competition...

leftaslide

Reaction score
Hey all....

I'm trying to get a rib cook-off up and running at the local Home Depot where I work. I need some advice on pretty much everything. Here's what I know so far. I've cleared it through our local health agency as far as permits, etc., so that's clear. What I need help with is mainly:

-what kind of ribs should I suggest using, spares, babys, pork, beef, what are the general guidlines on this? (keep in mind this is just am amateur type deal, nothing huge)

-depending on what kind of ribs I use, what kind of time frame are we looking at for the competition? 4 hrs....5hrs....more?

-any rules on gas vs. smoker? rules on charcoal? can participants bring their meat from home (should I allow entrys that may have been marinating or soaking, etc...) or should they be in the package when the competition starts?

As you can see, I need a lot of help and want this to be successful so we can do it again next year.

-any other tips/guidlines/advice would help. I've never organized anything like this and could use a lot of help, just keep in mind this is just for fun, nothing too serious.

I'm gonna try and give away one of the smokers we carry as 1st prize. I'm also going to have an independent panel of judges to taste the finished
product. Let's just hope my store manager goes for it.

Thanks for all of the advice in advance!!

I've been involved as an organizer of the Georgia Barbecue Classic for several years, a KCBS sanctioned state championship event. If you've never been to a barbecue cookoff before, I suggest you attend one. (There is a first year KCBS contest coming up in Columbus on the 27th) Keep your eyes open and ask a lot of question and you will learn plenty.

A non-sanctioned contest can be pretty much whatever you want it to be, but if you see how a sanctioned contest works it will give you some useful ideas on how to structure your rules & judging. Good luck!

-Gowan Fenley
Cartersville, GA

KCBS will now licence first year contests at only the cost of the Reps
They will conduct the contest for you ,that is the way to go
The teams know what to expect with a sanctioned Cook Off not a BubbaQ
Prize Money is always the biggest factor in getting a contest off the ground
Out here with $3500 We can make em go There I dont know how much you would need
Go to the contest like Civil said Better yet ask to be a helper and learn the ropes

I agree with Thom, and CivilWarBBQ. This is a new deal with KCBS and is the way. I stayed away from two local contests today because of uneasy feelings about the promotion aspects alone. Decent money for one or two positions wasn't enough when rules are suspect. Steve

Back