MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
gotribe28
Full Fledged Farker

Default Houston BBQ Supplies Help???

I drove to 4 different pit stores today looking for bbq supplies such as Thermometers, Guru's, Grill Grates and just all around toys to touch and feel before buying... I know I know Amazon is right at our finger tips but sometimes I just want to touch stuff before buying... So no one had hardly anything the big places like Pits and Spits was such a disappointment hardly any supplies.. just a big let down.

Does anyone know of a hidden gem in the Greater Houston area with a good supply of our kind of toys....? besides Academy

Old 06-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Separate the I wants from I really needs. 99.7% you really don't need to tun out Awesome BBQ it's just designed to make you waste your beer money. All you really need is a 5.00 oven thermo, a 4.00 meat thermo and a 4.00 ice pic from the hardware store.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

If you really want to touch a guru, I think Bering's on Bissonet has the Big Green Egg version. I don't know if it is the cyberQ or digiQ. Academy is about the best bbq supply place IMO - all kinds of stuff without being pricey.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Try Bass Pro shop?

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
JoeMal
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Cabelas up here in DFW has a decent supply. Unsure if ya'll have one down there
JoeMal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
sominus
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Michael

Allied Kenco is on the northeastish side of town... Not strictly BBQ/outdoor related, but also has a very thorough selection of meat processing and sausage making supplies.
sominus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
Tiger fan
Knows what a fatty is.

This place has a lot of BBQ stuff , worth the drive.

http://www.chimchimneys.com/

Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm sometimes impressed with what an HEB Plus store will have on their shelves, digital thermometers, dial pit therms., ABT racks to name a few but I've never seen a Guru on or in anything but a website. I wonder if Pitmaker, Gator, or Klose are dealers of the Guru? It makes sense that Pitmaker might be since they make the insulated verticals which accommodate such devices and they're in town. If nothing else maybe they can tell you where in town to go to find stuff!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Separate the I wants from I really needs. 99.7% you really don't need to tun out Awesome BBQ it's just designed to make you waste your beer money. All you really need is a 5.00 oven thermo, a 4.00 meat thermo and a 4.00 ice pic from the hardware store.
YUP!

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Last time I was at Williams-Sonoma they had a pretty good inventory of stuff including a couple of Maverick therms. Mighty pricey place to shop, though. Personally, I make do with a couple of cheap remote therms from Bedpans & Beyond and my trusty (Tootsie Roll brown) thermapen. I bought my IQUE110 off their web page and it arrived very quickly at my door. Bass Pro Shop has some of the big-name rubs and marinades I can't find anywhere else (Plowboy's).

Old 06-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I purchased my 22 WSM from these folks. I know they handle Wicked Good charcoal, BBQ Guru, and various ceramic eggs. Good folks, but it is a little drive outside of Houston. Maybe a side trip if you are going down to Galveston for the day.
http://www.acehardwaretexas.com/magn...-w-edgewood-dr
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
gotribe28
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
Try Bass Pro shop?
Out of everything but spices I did get some Yardbird while I was there....

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
gotribe28
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger fan View Post
This place has a lot of BBQ stuff , worth the drive.

http://www.chimchimneys.com/
Next time I am on the Southside I will be there... Thank you

Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
gotribe28
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakdung View Post
I purchased my 22 WSM from these folks. I know they handle Wicked Good charcoal, BBQ Guru, and various ceramic eggs. Good folks, but it is a little drive outside of Houston. Maybe a side trip if you are going down to Galveston for the day.
http://www.acehardwaretexas.com/magn...-w-edgewood-dr
Thank you will check it out next time im on the Southside...

Old 06-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
gotribe28
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sominus View Post
Allied Kenco is on the northeastish side of town... Not strictly BBQ/outdoor related, but also has a very thorough selection of meat processing and sausage making supplies.
Not far at all and a little pricey, but I will pay a little more to have it that day... I will check it out Thanks...