Doing a little "Drum building" today!!!!!!!!!!

Napper

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey,
After having temperature issues this past weekend at the Mobile competition I thought it was time to put some temperature control on the drums. This is my first try. I am using a fully mechanical controller and get about a 15 degree swing. Not bad for BBQ use! Not as good as when I used an electronic Omega controller but I like the simple mechanical design.

Works for me. I will put everything in conduit after I am sure everything works good.

I went from an UDS to a BADS. "Bad Ass Drum Smoker".

P1010030a.jpg

P1010029a.jpg

P1010032a.jpg

Are you sure this isn't a Popeil "set it n' ferget it" ?
Looks pretty cool! Are those E-box bungs in the intake holes? How many?
I've been setting a grate thermometer along with the pit therm and they run pretty close, but nothing like your setup. Could you explain it a bit more?

Yep on the E-box bungs. I was using the barrel manually when I first built it. The holes are cut for 1/2" NPT. So I put an 8" long 1/2 NPT Nipple in one hole to mount my fan. Only air is thru the 8" nipple in the auto mode.

I did a trial with an Omega controller. It does much tighter temperature control. It is auto tuning so it is much tighter control than just On/Off like the manual version. But I like the simple model.

I have to do more experiments on the design of the fire basket inside. Have seen many designs and trying to decide who has done it best. I have 6 more barrels left to experiment with!!!!

Grown men playing with fire......hope no one notices!!!!!!!!!!

Back