MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #6211
smokin' steeze
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke it if ya got it View Post
I have a UDS with a door and the only time I have trouble is if I have the lid off for more than 3-5 minutes then the temp gets to high and it's hard to settle her back down butt on the other side if temps are going down or having a hard time getting them up opening the door takes them up in an instant. I like my door for long cooks because I can throw in more lump or wood depending on whats needed.
The ease of being able to add more fuel on long smokes through the door is really what is driving my desire to include one. Without one I assume the ony other way to add chips would be to remove the meat & grill which doesn't sound fun.
smokin' steeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #6212
fat_bastard
On the road to being a farker

How long are you talking about here? There are guys in this thread that have done 16 hour cooks without adding fuel. Fuel mileage is one of the benefits of the UDS

Old 06-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #6213
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gfla View Post
Bill, I really like your charcoal basket design. I will be swiping this idea from you on my next uds. :)

However, I am afraid that your springs might become brittle and break after a lot of heat cycles. Are you worried about this at all? Maybe a wingnut or strong magnetic catch at the bottom might work better.
I've used the same springs for two months and they still seem fine, they were cheap, $1.50 each. I picked up a spare set when I built it just in case. The only mod I made was to replace the Weber charcoal grate with one I made from expanded metal. Too many pieces of shake were falling through. What I like most is the ability to raise the bottom for grilling.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #6214
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin' steeze View Post
The ease of being able to add more fuel on long smokes through the door is really what is driving my desire to include one. Without one I assume the ony other way to add chips would be to remove the meat & grill which doesn't sound fun.
I have a hinged cooking grate so if I want to add more smoking wood I can, I use chunks not chips though, chips just burn up.

I am currently 6 hours into a brisket smoke and I used about 6lbs of lump in my basket. I just peaked at the brisket and I've used less than half of my fuel.

To me a door seems like more trouble that it is worth. More air leaks for so little gain in my book.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:06 AM   #6215
BestnBBQ
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Smile Got UDS today

WOW after 400 pages farking knowledge I want to see if I am able to pull off what many have done many pages before me............Thx Bretheren
BestnBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #6216
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Default Imcomplete burn

First controled burn in UDS. I lit a small section in center of fire basket, temp came up, but it went out during the night. Burned a section of the carchoal, but left most of the basket.
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #6217
sjm845
Got Wood.

Default Scrap wood table and repaint

Just finished sealing my prep table that I made from scraps laying around my garage. Got the idea from someone about 100 pages ago...thanks! Repainted the smoker black with our logo. It was orange, but a BBQ is just meant to be black, know what I'm saying!

P1030652.jpg

P1030654.jpg

P1030656.jpg

P1030657.jpg
SLOATSBURG, NY
[URL="http://tellyouwhatbbq.com"]TELLYOUWHATBBQ.COM[/URL]
[URL="http://facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
Twitter: [URL="http://twitter.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]@tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
RUB IT...SMOKE IT...PULL IT!
sjm845 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #6218
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin' steeze View Post
I think you will find that a full basket will carry you through any session you have with out reloading. Properly placed lumps of wood will also last long enough to get your groceries to 140 internal- that seems to be the magic number where the groceries stop absorbing the smoke. After that, the smoke is only for your enjoyment.
There are times where I will add other groceries towards the end of a cook but on those occasions its as simple as using the "thirdhand" to get some fresh or different wood on the coals since I already have the lid off for the new groceries. I usually preburn the wood chunks to avoid any off tastes.
When you are done you simply close your exhaust and intake and save the unburnt coals for the next smoke- no waste.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #6219
PollardsVision
Got Wood.

My journey to manhood began this morning. Just brought home my brand new, 40-year old drum. This thing puts the U in UDS.
PollardsVision is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #6220
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

I swear that my UDS makes charcoal,lol.It seems that I'm ending up with more than when I started. Something that waterloo said about preburning his chunks, at the end of a cook I throw on some sticks and char them for my next session. Geeez, maybe that's where my extra charcoal comes from!
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 11:22 AM   #6221
spott77
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Well I went and did it.

I've read this thread probably 3 times through and more going to certain posts to get information. But I finally built one. Build was typical so I didn't take pics. But here she is

First cook in progress.

Birds are done

Now Round 2

Last edited by spott77; 06-27-2010 at 01:30 PM..
spott77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #6222
cliffordsimmons
Found some matches.

Hello all:

Going to make my first UDS. I got 2 steel drums, both were food grade (used for juice concentrate) but both have a red paint like coating on the inside...what is the best way to remove? I was thinking burning them and then using a wire brush? Or do I even have to remove it?

cliffordsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #6223
michaelp
Found some matches.

Heres how you get rid of the dreaded liner.
Yes, thats a leaf blower, and yes, the fire dept. responded.
michaelp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #6224
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

@SJM845 Nice table. May have to take a look in my shed.

Question, why the locking ring?
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #6225
TalonBrew
On the road to being a farker

Clifford.....

I just finished getting the lining out of mine. I think you and I had the same lining and I got bad news for you..... That stuff is amazing. I burned a bunch of wood to get very hot coals, rolled the drum and then blew air in it with my shop vac to really get it hot. Oh yeah..... didn't even faze that stuff. So this morning, I got my trusty Harbor Freight angle grinder with a couple different flap wheels and got to work. Three hours inside the drum out in the sun. Loud.... dirty (I went through four of those masks) and a huge pain, but it's finally done. I rubbed it down with canola, because I could SEE the rust forming on that bare metal (and I'm in Denver where the humidity is like 10 %!!!).

Now off to do a little welding and put the bolts for the grate in.

Please re-assure me that this will work..... while I was in the barrel, I was really thinking that writing a check for an electric smoker would make a bunch more sense!!!

Oh yeah.... I got my son in on the action!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0024.jpg (73.5 KB, 756 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0832.jpg (109.5 KB, 755 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0838.jpg (82.3 KB, 892 views)
TalonBrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker