Virtually LIVE Pig Roast

S

SmokeInDaEye

For New Year's Eve, me, Wine&Swine and our teammate, Peaches, have decided to cook a 40# pig in the La Caja China. For those of you in the area, feel free to stop by around 9pm.

For everyone else, I have decided to cook the pig virtually via almost real time picture updates.

Here's the first batch. Pig was marinated with a cuban injection and rub and was butterflied at a Puerto Rican pork shop in South Williamsburg Brooklyn.

He was then clamped into the rack and put into his little La Caja coffin.

Attachments

• P1010949.JPG
    P1010949.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 865
  • P1010950.JPG
    P1010950.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 857
  • P1010951.JPG
    P1010951.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 854
  • P1010953.JPG
    P1010953.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 854
  • P1010955.JPG
    P1010955.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 852
We added approximately 16# of charcoal on top of the lid. Cooking began 15 minutes ago.

Attachments

• P1010957.JPG
    P1010957.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 850
  • P1010956.JPG
    P1010956.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 851
MMMMM, MMMMM,MMMMM, MMMMMM, MMMMM!!! Somebody is going to have a New Years feast!!

Just added 8#s of unlit charcoal to the cover. The men folk have hunkered down in the tent outside with beer, tequila and some fine music.

More charcoal to be added in an hour...

Attachments

• coals.JPG
    coals.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 830
  • tent.JPG
    tent.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 825
  • tent2.JPG
    tent2.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 826
Another 8#s of charcoal and a shot of tequila!

Here's Wine& Swine and Peaches watching the flames.

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposedly the prob stuck in the ham is showing 154* after 2:20 of cooking. Seems to be on target to finish in an hour and a half or so...

that is sure a different way to cook pig what a way to have fun thanks for sharing

We just added the final 9# of charcoal. Adding an extra 30-60 minutes cook time because of the temperature outside. Internal temp for the pig is 174.

The manual says to let the ham go to 190* before flipping the pig but sounds a little high. We're letting it cook another 30 minutes and decide what to do.

We're also going to heat the double C brand and try branding the skin once it's flipped. Stay tuned...

Internal temp is at about 180*. Brand is heated. And we're going to flip the pig momentarily...

Now that's a fire!

Looks great, Clint. Makes you want to be there with you.

Say hi to Peaches for me. (That sounded gay.)

You really have you're own initialized branding iron ? I thought your avatar was computer generated... That's farkin cool...

Clint - great report... thanks for posting all of this as it happens...

This is a great thread.........Can't wait to see an inside shot during the turn. I have one of my family's branding irons too, they have sort of been phased out.

MilitantSquatter said:
You really have you're own initialized branding iron ? I thought your avatar was computer generated... That's farkin cool...

Clint - great report... thanks for posting all of this as it happens...

All the cool people have them, Vinnie!

Mine only brands wood. Not meat.

Attachments

• brand 006 (Small).jpg
    brand 006 (Small).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 584
Thanks for the virtual roast. I saw the clip about the Chinese Box method from the "wish list" thread a few weeks back. The Bobby Flay story said that you have to completely change the charcoal every hour, which sounded kind of wierd to me. I assume you are just adding unlit charcoal periodically--how did this work over the whole time of the cook?

And--how was the pig meat?

Just flipped the pig, scored it, and branded it. Onto the final crisping of the cracklin...

I have to get me one of these.....

Looks so cool and I love the mobile Thinkpad in the tent.

Back