New Holland, PA. 08/25 - 08/26 (KCBS)

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
New Holland is now full. The event was originally scheduled for 60 teams. They expanded it to 72 teams and now all slots are full. They are even overloaded with Judges. It should be a great contest and The Two Fat Polocks are looking forward to it.

New Holland is supposed to be one of the best contests in the North East. It's also in the middle of Amish country so there's a lot of good food, shopping etc. for the family. I'm really looking forward to this one.

BrooklynQ said:
New Holland is supposed to be one of the best contests in the North East. It's also in the middle of Amish country so there's a lot of good food, shopping etc. for the family. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Are you judging or competing with the Brethren?

I will be there to drink, eat and tell bad jokes No cooking or judging

Sean and I will be cooking there !!! Looking forward to it.. (I say that now, but may not feel the same way after I finish Hudson Valley Ribfest which will end 5 days before we show up at New Holland).

72 teams... should be interesting....

I'm hoping to catch a glimpse of the Motorcycles too...

Last edited:
So far I've missed every single event that I wanted to get to this summer due to commitments around the home. This one's on my birthday so I might just have to say "Fark it!" and get out to meet some of the Brethren. I was hoping to be at the point where we could compete there this year but we're just not ready. Maybe next year though...

Kirk said:
So far I've missed every single event that I wanted to get to this summer due to commitments around the home. This one's on my birthday so I might just have to say "Fark it!" and get out to meet some of the Brethren. I was hoping to be at the point where we could compete there this year but we're just not ready. Maybe next year though...

Kirk,

Why are you not there yet. Do you think we had a clue at our first contest? Our goals at our first contest were as follows:

1. We don't kill anyone....
2. We don't DQ....
3. We don't come in last....
4. We don't embarass ourselves....

We went to the contest with a bunch of offset smokers hoping for the best. At the contest we got advice and pointers from the best of them. The Philly Pigs kinda took us under their wings and helped us alot. The same is true at any contest. Just get out there and cook. You will be glad you did. If a couple of Polocks can do it, you can too..

Actually it's numbers 3 and 4 that I'm worried about. I have a distinct idea about how our turn ins should be and I haven't quite got the chicken or brisket recipes / techniques right yet. My pork finishing sauce needs a little work too. Equipment isn't a problem, we have 2 WSM's (and a 3rd that a TVWBB member graciously offered to lend us), a 22.5 inch kettle, canopies, tables, coolers, etc... it's just a matter of developing the recipes and the confidence a bit. If I don't feel like we have a chance next year, maybe I could hook up with an existing team and learn from them while helping out.

Kirk,

Don't worry about anything.
#2 isn't too bad- Just read SawdustGuy's post on how to get DQ'd
We lived thru getting embarassed by having my Bro-in-law have a few too many brews at a competition, and that wasn't so bad either. If that's the worst to have happen, your way ahead of the game.
As Nike says.....Just Do It!

We went to our first comp without ever even visiting one. We tried to do some turn ins like we'd seen online, but we really had zero idea what we were doing.

Everyone was extremely nice to us, and we didn't finish last in anything, and did ok in a couple of categories. Considering that we really knew NOTHING, we were thrilled, and we had a great time.

You won't embarrass yourself. People there will do worse things than you think you might. You may finish last, but you probably won't. You very much most likely won't kill anyone, and if you don't try to push it too much, you won't be DQ'ed.

Just remember the things that get you DQ'ed... using foreign materials, sculpting, pooling sauce... and you'll do just fine.

Team Agave will be there attempting to repeat last years performance. Look for the red trailer with the Backwoods and FE100 mounted on the back.

Does anyone have a list of the attending teams? Enquiring minds are nosey and would love to know.

just compete and have fun. it dosent matter where you end up as long as you have fun.
weve enter four KCBS events and have had fun at all of them and went to judge 1 and had fun there to (two Fat Polocks $375.00).

Steve , I look forward in meeting you. Also good luck on the repeat. We are just greatful to be there.
POTR
John

rbsnwngs said:
just compete and have fun. it dosent matter where you end up as long as you have fun.
weve enter four KCBS events and have had fun at all of them and went to judge 1 and had fun there to (two Fat Polocks $375.00).

Willy B heap good salesmen. Give him much firewater. Makem Polocks much wampum.:biggrin:

I look forward to New Holland, it is one of the favorites on our schedule each year. It will be our ninth contest, out of ten, of the season and it's a nice wine down. Awesome site and awesome hospitably.

Back