MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
viggysmalls
Got Wood.

Default Aging green wood

As I'm loading up on hickory, cherry and other delicious cuts of wood for next season's bbqing, I've realized I have absolutely no idea how long wood should age before smoking with it. My question really is that simple: how many months should I age my splits of wood in the open air before I think about cooking with it?
viggysmalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggysmalls View Post
As I'm loading up on hickory, cherry and other delicious cuts of wood for next season's bbqing, I've realized I have absolutely no idea how long wood should age before smoking with it. My question really is that simple: how many months should I age my splits of wood in the open air before I think about cooking with it?
Smack 2 of the pieces together and if it makes a thud, keep aging it. If it makes the sound of a baseball bat hitting a baseball. Use it up.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Usually about 6 months to a year if they are split, longer if they aren't. Oak can take up to two years to age, so test the wood following aawa's suggested method.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
CErnst
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Corey

Hey viggy,
Since I use a UDS and do not use limbs/logs directly, I cut all my wood up into discs/chunks to quickly dry the wood out. I have some redbud limb chunks (thumb sized x 3 inches) that are already splitting down the side after 3 months. I plan on testing them out after winter. I keep them in the garage so that when humidity drops to 15-20%, it'll suck that moisture out. At least that's the idea.

This weekend I cut down two mulberries, and trimmed up a cherry and redbud. I'm hoping by mid-summer/fall it'll be ready to use.