MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
1BADHAWG
Got Wood.

Default My First Butt's

went to a local pork outlet today picked up 4 butts they are small and range from 4 to 5 lbs ...so tommorow will be the day to experiment on these, i am going to make up some rub from some of the suggestions from you guys on the forum..i am thinking 8 hours to cook @ 225 to 250 to get to around 190 does this sound about right??? then pull and foil and let rest in cooler for a couple of hours,,...the first thing i cooked when i got my WSM was spatchcock chicken....came out awesome...and have done a meatloaf which was a hit with the family.... love this website great reading and ideas from all you experts.............wish me luck
1BADHAWG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
bbqchicken
is One Chatty Farker

good luck!

Old 10-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Sounds like a plan.. Butts are my fav. Very forgiving and might tasty! Good luck!!!

Old 10-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

4-5lbs is pretty small. I assume they are boneless. At those cooking temps I would be surprised if it went as long as you think. Personally I would take them well over 200* if you are measuring by temp. Remember to monitor the doneness by feel too as that will be your true test. For butts though, I think you can use temp and get good results. Just take it past 200* minimum.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

i just got 3 butts last weekend. 2 of them were 4 pounds BONE IN... yup... i dont know either...

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
1BADHAWG
Got Wood.

these are bone in.....just small, they had buy one at regular price @ $2.99 lb and get the next one for $4.....

Old 10-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Don't focus too much on a specific temp. They will be done when your thermo probe goes in with little to no resistance. That can happen at different internal temps for each butt.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Have fun
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
BigBobBQ
Babbling Farker

good luck, I think you will do fine.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
swallytrip
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDirty00 View Post
i just got 3 butts last weekend. 2 of them were 4 pounds BONE IN... yup... i dont know either...
Do you remember what meat packing company they came from? Im a butcher and we get them from a company calleD farmland a divisoin of smithfield i think and there tiny cant even cut them into good pork steaks but if they come from IBP or Excel then they are sometimes on the border of huge
swallytrip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Quote:
Originally Posted by swallytrip View Post

Do you remember what meat packing company they came from? Im a butcher and we get them from a company calleD farmland a divisoin of smithfield i think and there tiny cant even cut them into good pork steaks but if they come from IBP or Excel then they are sometimes on the border of huge
I've tried butts from Farmland & they were ordinary sized (7-9 lbs.) but I wasn't very happy with the final product. IBP, Excel, and Hormel are far superior products IMO. Cheers!!!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
1BADHAWG
Got Wood.

Nahunta pork center is where these butts came from they are based out of Pikeville NC, they have a outlet at the Farmers Market in Raleigh....they came out great for my first time, smoked them with Hickory and Apple chunks at 275 for about 6 hours untill the internal temp was 195.... foiled them for 2 hours...meat fell off the bone... pulled meat apart used some Georges Hot. also bought a 3lb chuck roast and cooked that on the bottom rack...used two forks to shred.....put some Sweet Baby Rays on it ....I am hooked already...... thinking about what to try this weekend

Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #13
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADHAWG View Post
I am hooked already...... thinking about what to try this weekend
Get used to it...and don't be surprised when you have your first dream about barbecue....