• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ribs With An Asian Twist: Kiawe Smoked Thai BB Ribs

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
The Missus greatly resisted my idea of smoking some ribs when I brought it up yesterday afternoon. Truth be told, she's not a big fan of ribs, at least the traditional dry rubbed Memphis style ribs I usually do. I figured I could get her on my side if I proposed something different, perhaps Asian.

Some years ago, a friend gave me this as a present.

IMG_5551.jpg

I pulled it off the shelf, and scanned for something that looked good. Actually, a LOT of the recipes in the book looked good, but I decided to go with the Thai one because it had an interesting series of flavors. The Missus was sold, so we were in business!

9182011RibsBook.jpg

Other than substituting two jalapenos for the eight serranos the recipe called for, we followed the recipe verbatim. After making the marinade, it looked like this

IMG_5502.jpg

I took two slabs of BB, removed the membrane, then cut them in half. Both racks were quite a bit meatier on one end, so experience has taught me the less meaty ends cook sooner than the others.

IMG_5496.jpg

Then we poured the marinade over the ribs, and covered them.

IMG_5503.jpg

A few hours later, prepped the WSM minion style:

IMG_5507.jpg

Dumped hot coals in the can:

IMG_5508.jpg

Pulled can out:

IMG_5509.jpg

I don't know if this method is any better than just dumping lit coals over unlit, but I read about it years ago when I first heard about the minion method as good way to ensure a nice slow even burn through of the unlit coals. So far, it seems to work very well.

Time to put the ribs on:

IMG_5510.jpg

Then added several chunks of Kiawe wood:

IMG_5514.jpg

Time for a cold one!

IMG_5516.jpg

Leaving all vents open, the WSM temps climbed pretty fast, so as it approached 250, I shut down one vent, leaving the other two about halfway open. The WSM kept a steady 275 throughout the cook, which was what I was hoping for.

After about 1.5 hours:

IMG_5517.jpg

I pulled the smaller ends at 2.5 hours, with the meaty ones pulled at 3 hours. Resting altogether:

IMG_5531.jpg

Meanwhile, The Missus got started on assembling ingredients to make some fried rice:

IMG_5527.jpg

When the rice was done, I began cutting the ribs:

IMG_5534.jpg

They looked really good!

IMG_5537.jpg

We served the ribs with the rice:

IMG_5547.jpg

IMG_5540.jpg

The verdict? They were excellent! Next time I'm probably going to use the recommended 8 serrano chiles as I like really spicy, but overall, the recipe worked out really well and we'll certainly be doing them again.

I was given that book a while back too. I've never made anything from it - looks like I should check it out! Great looking grub. I've been digging the kiawe wood you gave me btw - great stuff - thanks!

Those ribs look great! I'm going to have to try that recipe soon. My wife gets burned out on BBQ ribs due to all of the comps we judge each summer. This may be a way too cook ribs and have my wife eat some of them for a change.

picture.php

Those are some dang lovely lookin ribs....You have shown me the future of my next rib cook...Thanks for posting!

I was given that book a while back too. I've never made anything from it - looks like I should check it out! Great looking grub. I've been digging the kiawe wood you gave me btw - great stuff - thanks!

There's actually quite a few really good looking ones that caught my eye, such as:

Moroccan Glazed Ribs
Chipotle Coriander Cured Ribs
Crushed Peppercorn and Orange Glazed Ribs
Szechuan Fire Ribs

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Szechuan Fire Ribs

NOW you're talking! Like to see that recipe but as to the Thai...

Those are beautiful! I'm showing Redhot this one as we just happen to have two racks of BBs in the freezer iffen you don't mind us copy cattin':-D

And we'll use the serranos.

I'm showing Redhot this one as we just happen to have two racks of BBs in the freezer iffen you don't mind us copy cattin':-D

And we'll use the serranos.

Please do, just post Pr0n!

I was given that book also and like gtr I never cooked anything out of it, but after seeing your ribs I think I need to try that recipe. They look delicious!

those look great!!!

any kinda tai ribs with a peanut sauce base? (not sure how that would be but it can always be attempted)

i also have been thinking about developing some comp rib that uses sweet and sour sauce as a base for a glaze. that will give them an ultra sweetness. then adding some cayenne powder for the zing. have yet to try it tho.

Those look fabulous. I also have trouble getting my wife to go for ribs (of course I want them everyday, and she wants them less than that) -- it is more a healthy food concern than taste though. We have that book. I think we've done a few recipes from it a long time ago that were good. I really should pull it out again. Those ribs look fabulous!

Back