MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:29 AM   #1
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Default The Cook’s Illustrated Guide to Grilling and Barbecue?

Does anyone have experience with this book? It mostly seems to deal with charcoal and gas grilling. I have and love America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. I just wanted to get a good grilling book for kicks.
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 04:51 AM   #2
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

If it's like any thing else they've done, it'll be truly outstanding!!!
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am a big fan of their work too. I will get a copy. Thanks for the head's up.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll be interested in your opinion of it also. I subscribe to the periodical and it's usually a good read. However, one of their favorite things to do is streamline recipes. I've seen them streamline BBQ and it makes me cringe.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

I like a lot of the recipes and guides in the Cooks Illustrated magazine but was never impressed with their bbq related ones

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
smokeydog
On the road to being a farker

I have had a copy for a couple of years. It has good information, articles about best buys for the kitchen, grill etc. It isn't about smoking as we practice it. It will tell you how to cook something on a Weber charcoal and using gas. THe Weber kettle is the go to for them. If you get a discount coupon at Barnes and Nobles I'd buy it, thats what I did. All in all it has good information. IMO

Old 02-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

Its great however it seemed to me that they are very quick to use the oven on barbecue...
bobaftt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

I call them CROOKS Illustrated. Has more to do with their billing and marketing, but thats another thread in woodpile.

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
gtr

It's allright - some good grilling stuff. For low & slow, they're basically assuming you don't have a smoker & their method involves using the Weber kettle as a smoker - while there is nothing wrong with that, I'm confident most if not all people here have some kind of smoker. They talk about soaking wood chips (ahem), but there are some good basic rub & sauce recipes.

I haven't looked at the book in awhile, but my basic take would be the recipes are good but if you've been bbqing for awhile, you should probably go with the methods you already know. I've made a couple things out of apl's Serious Barbecue book lately and have really enjoyed that.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with gtr. Very basic and the recipes are nothing too thrilling. If you want a cool grilling book might I suggest, "The Thrill of the Grill: Techniques, Recipes, & Down-Home Barbecue" by Christopher Schlesinger. It's one of my favorites.

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer, Blackstone 28" Griddle
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS, Weber 26"
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Its an ok book, but as with many CI recipes, etc now I find myself somewhat disenchanted. I think the book is good when you are beginning to grill/barbecue, but you will probably outgrow it soon.

One good feature of many CI recipes is that they are pretty reproducible since they have worked all the kinks out of the recipes. And as someone pointed out above, they don't really dabble in smokers. if you get a good deal on it then buy it, but I wouldn't spend a lot of $$ on it.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Thanks for saving me a few bucks for not adding this book to my collection.

On the other hand I still like Cook's Illustrated a lot.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
gtr

I like the Cook's Ill mag as well. I've learned general cooking principles from them that I otherwise wouldn't have known & I've had a lot of success with their non-bbq recipes.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
TheRancheroGuy
Knows what a fatty is.

+1 on the CI mag. I've learned several INDOOR cooking techniques that have paid off in spades.
TheRancheroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #15
Big Rich
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've had it for a few years and it's good food for thought, even for the experienced griller. As mentioned the smoking assumes you are using a kettle or the oven.
Big Rich is offline   Reply With Quote